Welcome to Day 1 of your 12 Week Lean Body Challenge!
Today is a weight training day, and we will also be doing 26-30 minutes of cardio. If you need a reminder of how to do your cardio, check out the Overview Episode on Training that hopefully you watched just before starting your 12 Week Challenge.
I have provided you with a meal plan for every day this week, so there's no excuse to slack on your diet, which will be approximately 80% of your success during this program.
Week 1, Day 1 Back & Biceps!
Watch The Video - 07:34
You'll want to warm up properly before you start your working sets with these weights. The best way to warm up is to take the first exercise on your list for that day and put on a much lighter weight than you would normally use.
Complete 1-2 sets until you feel a lot of warmth in that muscle tissue - really wake your muscles up.
Another option for warming up is to add 5 minutes of calisthenics or Stationary Bike right at the beginning of your workout! This will help your body get charged and warmed up for the tough stuff.
- Minutes 1-2: Level One (Easy resistance)
- Minutes 3-5: Level Two (Moderate resistance)
- Minutes 6-9: Level Three (Difficult resistance)
- Minutes 10-11: Level Two
- Minutes 12-15: Level Three
- Minutes 16-17: Level Two
- Minutes 18-21: Level Three
- Minutes 22-24: Level Two
- Minutes 25-26: Level One
Lee's Exercise Tips
- Practicing correct form (the way that you perform any exercise) will ensure that you get the best and safest workout possible.
- To get more information on these exercises, you can visit the Bodybuilding.com Exercise Database.
- Each repetition should take you 1 - 2 seconds to lift and 2 to 3 seconds to return to the starting position.
- Resist the urge to swing the weight!
- Don't rely solely on gravity to bring a weight down. Keep it controlled.
- The time of rest between exercises should be however long it takes you to catch your breath.
- The break time between body parts can be between 3-5 minutes.
Week 1, Day 1 Nutrition
To keep your meal plan exciting and full of great tasting foods, I'm going to give you meal recommendations once a week. These meals fit perfectly into the Lean Body Nutrition program, and I love these recipes because they combine taste, healthy nutrition and convenience. Your recommended meal of the week is Sweet Potato Salmon combined with some Grilled Veggies.
Sweet Potato Salmon
Estimated Prep Time: 10 min
Estimated Cook Time: 25 min
Makes 2 servings
Sweet Potato 2
Brown Sugar 2 tbsp
Cinnamon 1/2 tsp ground
Salmon filets 2 large
Spinach 1 bag
Olive Oil 1 tbsp
Pecans 6 chopped
- Peel the yams and cut them into large chunks. Place the in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil, and cook until soft, 15 to 20 min. Remove from the heat, drain, add sugar and cinnamon, and whip with a handheld mixer until fluffy. Set aside and keep warm.
- While the yams are cooking, heat the grill or a heavy skillet. Rinse the salmon and pat it dry with paper towels. Place it skin-side down on the grill and top each piece with half of the butter. Cook undisturbed until the salmon flakes easily, about 10 to 15 min; do not turn.
- Just before the salmon is done, heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the spinach, cover, and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, about 2 min. (You want the spinach to wilt and shrink, but not become soggy.)
- Place a scoop of mashed yams on each serving plate. Top with spinach. Slide a spatula between the fish and the skin, and lift off the fish. Place the fish on the spinach. (You can remove the skin from the grill and discard it after dinner.) Sprinkle with the chopped pecans and serve.
Estimated Prep Time: 15 min
Estimated Cook Time: 10 min
Makes 4 servings
Use extras for quick garnishes on main dishes.
Red Pepper 1
Asparagug 1 bunch
Olive Oil 1/4 cup
Garlic 1 tbsp
Pepper 4 shakes
- Turn the grill on high.
- Wash all veggies. Slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch circles, then cut into halves. Cut off the ends of the squashes and slice into 1/2-inch circles. Cut the mushrooms in half. Remove the stems and bottoms of the peppers; slice them open; discard the seeds and cut the flesh into large squares. Cut the onions into 1/2-inch wedges, but do not pull the layers apart. Break off the heavy stems of the asparagus, then cut the asparagus in half.
- Combine the oil, garlic, salt, and pepper, and divide between two bags. Put half of each vegetable into each bag. Zip closed and shake to coat the veggies with the oil mixture.
- Place the veggie grill basket on the grill and put in the vegetables. Toss to cook evenly for about 10 min. The veggies are best if a little charred but are still crunchy.
- Serve hot sprinkled with parmesan cheese, or cold drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar.