Barbell Guillotine Bench Press Images
Barbell Guillotine Bench Press Instructions
- Using a medium width grip (a grip that creates a 90-degree angle in the middle of the movement between the forearms and the upper arms), lift the bar from the rack and hold it straight over your neck with your arms locked. This will be your starting position.
- As you breathe in, bring the bar down slowly until it is about 1 inch from your neck.
- After a second pause, bring the bar back to the starting position as you breathe out and push the bar using your chest muscles. Lock your arms and squeeze your chest in the contracted position, hold for a second and then start coming down slowly again. It should take at least twice as long to go down than to come up.
- Repeat the movement for the prescribed amount of repetitions.
- When you are done, place the bar back in the rack.
- It is advised that you use a spotter for this exercise. If no spotter is available, then be very conservative with the amount of weight used.
- Also, beware of letting the bar drift too far forward. You want the bar to be about 1 inch from your neck and nowhere else.
- You should be in full control of the barbell at all times.
Variations: This exercise can also be performed with the smith machine.