The secret to fitness success is hidden inside Kristina Olson, but she's not about to let it out. Quite frankly, she may not be able to! See, it's not some special supplement or unique tip, but a hard-to-define personal drive that pushes her to achieve what most only dream. Olson may not be able to hand that quality to others, but she's determined to spread her love of fitness.
Olson started out in music, and spent 10 years touring and recording. She was then driven to help heal the planet, so she began studying earth science. Now, she's accelerating her drive to motivate the global fitness audience, and she just won our 2015 BodySpace Spokesmodel Search!
When she first started training, Olson wanted to look like Linda Hamilton from "Terminator 2" or Demi Moore in "GI Jane." Now, she's a BSN and Bodybuilding.com athlete, and women around the world use her as inspiration. Olson feels honored and privileged to carry this role, and she wants to help people around the world find their own drives to succeed.
Watch Olson's video below to learn more about her, and read on to get her complete nutrition, training, and supplement plan!
Cooking is cathartic and enjoyable for Kristina. She loves to make small ingredient adjustments that add up to major nutritional changes. She takes family recipes and makes them fitness-friendly, and she's a big proponent of shopping with a careful eye.
"Learn how to shop at the grocery store and really read the ingredients," she says. "Look at the labels. As you stroll down the aisles, something may say 'gluten-free' or 'non-GMO,' but that doesn't necessarily make it healthy. If you look at the ingredients, the second ingredient may be evaporated cane juice."
Don't fall prey to pretty packaging or marketing buzzwords. "Read the ingredients and the fine details," Olson advises. "That will teach you how to shop better."
Down the road, Olson wants to make a cookbook and star in cooking videos. She's not into beautified or Photoshopped food images. She wants to showcase real food with an emphasis on delicious, clean ingredients.
Try these awesome meals straight from Kristina's kitchen!
Olson has been training clients online for a while, but she wants to do more in-person training, so she can be the voice in someone's ear, rooting them on with, "You can do it; one more rep!"
"I want to tell women that you can lift weights," says Kristina. "It doesn't have to just be cardio. Weights are going to give you the toned body you want. Don't be afraid to lift heavy, because it'll get you the booty and all the lines and definition that you want by doing that."
Kristina had to be fit to work in music, but to succeed as an IFBB bikini pro she had to take it to a higher level. "I feel a million times better and it shows with my interactions with people. If people knew how they'd really feel when they got in good shape, more people would do it."
When you get fit, it translates to everything you do. "It radiates from the inside out," Olson says. Try her training plan so you can feel the results for yourself!
Kristina's workouts are a grind; they last however long it takes! Here are some notes on the more complex exercises in her routine:
- In-and-out: Start with your feet together, then jump into a wide-stance squat position, then jump back to the starting position.
- Plie squat partial: Hold a plate in each hand. Place your feet slightly wider than shoulder width with your toes pointed out and arms hanging down in front of you against your body. Bend down into a squat position until your quads are parallel to the floor, keeping your back as straight as possible. This will be your starting position. Lower your butt until your quads make about a 45-degree angle to the floor. Push up with your heels and squeeze with your glutes to return to the starting position.
- Quick Step-up: Stand in front of a 3- to 6-inch step. Step up with your right foot, then up with your left. Then step down with your right foot and then left. Repeat pattern as quickly as possible for specified time.
- Cable hip abduction: Stand in front of a low pulley facing to one side. Attach a cable cuff to the far ankle. Step out away from the stack and grasp a ballet bar. Stand on the near foot and allow the far leg to cross in front. Move your leg to the opposite side of the low pulley by abduction hip. Return and repeat. Turn around and continue with the opposite leg.
For Kristina, fitness is about more than just training hard in the gym. "It's also about fueling my body with the proper foods and making sure I take the appropriate supplements to maximize the returns on my hard work," she says.
Olson takes foundational supplements, fish oil, and protein, but she also loves pre-workouts to boost her training drive and focus.
"There are some really great benefits to regular supplementation such as optimizing your recovery, supporting fat loss, and increasing overall health," Olson says. "Each supplement in my arsenal has its purpose!"
- BSN Carnitine DNA: 1 tablet
- BSN CLA DNA (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner): 1 softgel
- BSN Fish Oil DNA (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner): 1 softgel
- BSN NO-Xplode: 2 servings
- BSN AMINOx: 1 serving
- BSN Syntha-6: 1 serving