This cucumber lentil salad is a terrific lunch when you're on the go and don't have time to reheat a lunch in the office. Served cold, it's a delicious way to get your carbohydrates and protein in while giving you the energy you need to get through the rest of your day.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1½ cup water
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 whole bay leaf
- ½ tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole medium cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 whole stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 whole red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- In a pot, combine the lentils, garlic, bay leaf, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Drain the water and remove the bay leaf. Place in the fridge until cold.
- Toss the refrigerated lentils with the celery, cucumber, and red pepper.
- Mix together the olive oil and the balsamic vinegar.
- Drizzle on top of lentil mix and toss.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve.