Barley is one of those forgotten whole grains in the maddening dash for fast food. Simply put, some good food takes a little time to prep. This fine barley dish fits alongside a main chicken or beef entree with a side salad to make a complete meal. The pecans are a pleasant surprise and add healthy fat content to this simple side.
- 2 tbsp light margarine
- 1 whole onion, finely diced
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup barley, pearled
- ¼ cup pecans
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once melted, add in the onion, garlic, barley, and pecans.
- Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes or until barley browns.
- Add mushrooms and parsley.
- Continue to cook for another minute or two, and then transfer everything into a large baking dish.
- Add chicken broth and bake for about 75 minutes, or until the broth has been absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and serve!