Jamie Eason's LiveFit Recipes: Frosted Coconut Protein Cupcakes
Jamie Eason is back in the kitchen, and her baking is better than ever! Indulge your sweet tooth with these delicious coconut cupcakes.
I love anything coconut. I also love cupcakes. I decided to combine my two loves into one amazing Frosted Coconut Protein Cupcake! Coconut is quite healthful, but this isn't an everyday food. This recipe produces a delicious, cleaner version of a coconut cupcake, but it's still a special treat. Enjoy!
Frosted Coconut Protein Cupcakes
Watch The Video - 14:53
I prefer to cook with coconut oil over any other type of oil. I really only use two types of oil: extra-virgin olive oil and coconut oil, which heats well at high temperatures. You can make stir-fry with it, or use it in place of butter in any recipe.
In this recipe, you can substitute Stevia for the brown sugar, but I like the molasses flavor of the brown sugar. Look for Greek yogurt with the lowest amount of sugar. I used imitation coconut, but if you just want to use coconut milk, that's okay. It has plenty of flavor! If you are watching your salt content, you can omit it from the recipe.
- 1-1/2 cups oat flour
- 2 scoops (servings) vanilla whey protein
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Xylitol brown sugar
- 4 oz. unsweetened applesauce
- 4 oz. (half container) Greek yogurt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oat flour, protein powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk until well combined and set aside.
- In a second bowl, combine brown sugar, applesauce, yogurt, egg whites, coconut milk and coconut extract, stirring until incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Use a 1/4 cup as a scoop to fill muffin tins.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack for 20 minutes.
- 4 oz. fat-free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (microwave for 15 seconds)
- 2 cups Xylitol confectioner's sugar
- Mix together with an electric mixer until smooth and refrigerate.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Use flaked coconut as garnish on top.
Recipe yields 12 cupcakes
(with icing and coconut flakes)
Icing (recipe yields 24 servings)
*Macros will vary depending on your choice of protein powder.
Frosted Coconut Protein Cupcakes PDF (77.7 KB)