Growing a physique that's not just eye-catching, but downright freakily amazing, doesn't happen by accident. It takes hard work, but also a smart approach to splitting up your training. The BodyFit program FreakMode: Alex Savva's 12-Week Fitness Plan will give you both.
For the first four weeks, the program is designed to help stimulate growth by attacking body parts as a group based on prime movers and their synergists. For example, the chest is a prime mover (main muscle) on a bench press, while the shoulders and triceps are synergists (assisting muscles).
Because the synergist muscles are targeted during every exercise prescribed in each workout, they'll be close to exhaustion by the time you work them individually. That means you'll only need to do a few sets to finish them off.
This workout, from Day 1 of FreakMode, shouldn't take you more than 30-45 minutes. Keep the rest periods short so the sets are intense and effective. By increasing the demand of the work, you effectively increase the stress to your body, which is exactly what will cause your muscles to grow and your fat to evaporate.
- Incline dumbbell press: incline bench, chest press
- Dumbbell fly: incline fly, pec-deck
- Close-grip push-up: close-grip bench press
- Standing dumbbell shoulder press: seated dumbbell shoulder press, barbell shoulder press
- Triceps press-down: skullcrusher, cable overhead triceps extension
- Bilateral triceps kick-back: cable single-arm kick-back, dumbbell overhead triceps extension