For cooler nights, or at times when you're just craving a hearty dish that goes down easy, think sweet potato soup! This recipe serves up a nice dose of carbs while still making protein the star. Serve it as a main dish or soothing side, and you'll walk away from your meal feeling satisfied.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 sweet potato, cut into cubes
- 4 carrot, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Next, add the onion and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add the chicken broth and two cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Add in the sweet potatoes, carrots, red pepper, and ginger. Reduce heat. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool in the fridge for 20-30 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetable pieces and puree them in the blender until thick.
- Pour back into the soup and then return to the heat, cooking for 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
- Once almost finished, add yogurt and stir. Serve immediately, topping with cilantro if desired.