These meaty mushrooms are ideal for vegetarians looking for a delicious burger substitute, but they're also a great low-carb or zero-carb dish alongside your protein or other veggies.
- 4 portabella mushroom caps
- 3 whole plum tomato, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp, ground oregano
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- ½ cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, red onion, garlic, oregano, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Remove the stems from the portobello mushroom caps using a spoon and set aside.
- Mix together the lemon juice, soy sauce, and the other teaspoon of olive oil.
- Brush this mixture over both sides of the caps and then place on the grill, stem sides down.
- Grill until they are soft to the touch, about 3-5 minutes, then flip over and grill the other side.
- Once finished, fill the caps with the tomato mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Place on the grill again for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.