Stuffed peppers aren't just for ground meat. Swap your lean protein for a carb-packed pepper by using oatmeal as your filler. This vegetarian-friendly take on the classic dish adds a protein punch with black beans and Greek yogurt, while keeping all the classic flavors with shredded cheese and seasonings like paprika and cumin. One taste, and you'll be hooked.
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cilantro
- Cook rolled oats as directed. Set aside.
- Set oven to 410 degrees F.
- Slice a bell pepper in half lengthwise, and remove the insides. Place the bell pepper halves on a baking sheet face down. Bake in the oven for at least 15 minutes or until the halves are soft.
- While the bell pepper halves are baking, mix together the oatmeal, Greek yogurt, beans, corn, paprika, and cumin. Season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
- Stuff the baked bell peppers with the oatmeal mixture and top each half with 1/8 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese.
- Place the stuffed pepper back in the oven and bake for another 6-8 minutes.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.