I'm really picky when it comes to my pizza, especially about the sauce. That's why I am so freaking stoked about this dish. Not only does it have over 30 g protein and only 415 calories per pizza, but the sauce is perfect. If you like a crispy-crust pizza with flavorful sauce, you'll love this.
- 1 pita, large (6-1/2" dia) whole-Wheat Pita Bread
- ¼ cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- ¼ cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 link andouille chicken sausage
- ¼ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup, sliced green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp low-fat parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Bring sauce ingredients (download recipe PDF for Sarah's healthy sauce recipe) to a boil over stovetop, then simmer 30-45 minutes.
- Remove sausage casing and brown meat in skillet over medium heat, breaking it up with a turner or spatula as it cooks.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and bake pita for 10 minutes or until slightly stiff, but not crispy.
- Take out pita, and turn oven up to 500 F.
- Place pita on a cookie sheet and cover with sauce, cheese, sausage, and veggies, in that order.
- Put back in the oven at 500 F for 5-7 minutes, watching closely. Pizza is done when crust is crispy and cheese is melted.
- Top with parmesan and red pepper. Devour the entire thing!