Before we broke bread and let football take over the holiday, simpler times made for cleaner food. Celebrate the paleo way!
- 1 bird turkey, whole, meat and skin
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 10 medium (3" dia) apples
- 5 tsp rosemary
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F) and arrange rack as low as possible in the oven.
- Remove the bird's gizzards (eek!).
- Rinse turkey and dry using paper towels. Tie its legs together with a string.
- Place turkey (breast side up) in a roasting pan.
- Put rosemary and two apple halves inside turkey. Sprinkle turkey with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, adding sea salt to taste.
- Place remaining apple wedges around the roasting pan.
- Place roasting pan in the oven and roast for 4 hours (15 minutes per pound). *Note: if you see the turkey's skin browning too soon, cover turkey with foil.
- To know when your turkey is done, check its temperature by sticking a meat thermometer into its thigh. At 175 degrees, the turkey is done.
- Once turkey is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool off for 20-30 minutes. Carve and serve!