Think turkey burgers are bland? Set your taste buds ablaze with this bold and spicy take on a classic gains favorite!
- 1½ lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- ⅓ cup red onion, diced
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- 1 dash black pepper
Special Spicy Sauce Ingredients
- 6 tbsp safflower mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp red chili sauce
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- ½ tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1½ cup, shredded purple cabbage
- ⅓ cup strips or slices carrots
- ½ whole cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 oz cilantro
- 6 pocket Ezekiel 4:9 whole-wheat pockets
- 6 tbsp 2% greek yogurt, plain
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and place in fridge until ready to serve burgers.
- Mix shredded cabbage and carrots together in a microwavable safe bowl along with a few tablespoons of water.
- Cover the bowl and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to soften the veggies. Allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Place ground turkey in a large bowl. Add garlic, red curry paste, red onion, and cilantro. Mix well to combine. Add a pinch of pepper, if desired.
- Divide turkey mixture into six equal portions and shape into patties using your hands.
- Set a nonstick, oven-safe skillet on medium heat and spray with a little olive oil or cooking spray. Once the pan is hot, add the patties and sear on both sides for 3-5 minutes, then place entire skillet in the oven and bake at 400 degrees F for 6-8 minutes until cooked through. If you do not have an oven-safe skillet, place patties on a baking tray instead.
- Warm the wheat pockets or buns in microwave or oven.
- To build the burger: Add 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt to the bottom of pocket. Layer sliced cucumber and tomato, then add the patty and top with a heaping tablespoon of the special sauce. Finish with the wilted cabbage and carrot mixture and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro to taste.