Before we broke bread and let football take over the holiday, simpler times made for cleaner food. Celebrate the paleo way!
Ingredients for crust Ingredients
- 3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter, without salt
Ingredients for pumpkin filling Ingredients
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut milk, canned, full-fat
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp, ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 3 whole egg
- Directions for crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place walnuts, baking soda and sea salt in food processor and blend until finely ground.
- Add butter and pulse until butter is mixed in.
- Using your spatula, scrape the mixture into your pie pan and using your fingers, spread the batter thinner across the bottom of the pan and thicker around the edges of the crust.
- Place the pie pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and let cool for about 15 minutes (while you prepare the filling).
- Directions for filling: Mix all dry ingredients together in a separate mixing bowl.
- Mix all wet ingredients together in a separate mixing bowl.
- Combine both wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour filling mixture into the baked crust (*Don't overfill the crust - so you might have a little bit of batter left)
- Bake for 1 hour (at 350 degrees) or until the center of the pie is firm.
- Let the pie cool completely before cutting.