I love traditional Italian pesto! Unfortunately, a two-tablespoon serving packs 100-160 calories—not the best bang for your dietary buck. This lighter version has less than 50 calories for the same amount, plus it has all that authentic flavor we love. Try it spread over salmon or chicken, mixed with pasta, or used as a dip with crisp breads!
- 2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup low-fat parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Toast pine nuts in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until golden.
- Add toasted pine nuts and all other ingredients to a blender or food processer.
- Blend or process until smooth.
- Store in the fridge up to one week.