Adding the smoky-sweet flavor of seared corn takes this party classic to a whole new level.
Roasted corn (elote) Ingredients
- 2 ear, yields corn kernels
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp garlic, minced
Guacamole base Ingredients
- 2 avocado
- 1 whole jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- ⅓ cup red onion, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup cotija cheese
- 1 tbsp safflower mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp pico de gallo
- ⅓ tbsp red onion, diced
- ½ tbsp cilantro
- 1 dash black pepper
- Use a knife to remove corn from the cob (or let the frozen corn thaw to room temperature).
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat and add olive oil and garlic. Lightly sauté to flavor the oil for about 2 minutes, allowing the garlic to slightly caramelize.
- Add corn kernels to skillet, cooking for 3-4 minutes, then slightly increase the heat to sear the corn for about 2 minutes or until kernels begin to brown. Season with a pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper while searing.
- Once corn is lightly seared, remove from heat and set aside.
- Slice the avocado in half lengthwise and remove pit. Scoop flesh of the avocado into a bowl and mash slightly using a fork. Squeeze in fresh lime juice.
- Add remaining guacamole base ingredients to avocado and mix and mash everything together. Add a little bit of roasted corn and jalapeño (to taste) and stir to combine. Tip: Roll jalapeño on the cutting board before slicing to loosen seeds. Slice lengthwise and remove seeds using a spoon. The more seeds you leave in, the spicier your guacamole will be.
- Sprinkle in half the cotija crumble and gently fold into avocado mixture.
- Top guacamole with corn, remaining cheese, mayo, and pico. Garnish with chopped onion, cilantro, and a sprinkle of cracked pepper.
- Enjoy with freshly cut veggies such as mini sweet bell pepper halves, celery sticks, and colorful carrots sliced vertically.