When most people think of eating healthfully, one of the first options to come to mind is a salad. But what about something as hearty and filling as chili? Can that be a healthy option? You bet! It's conveniently prepared in a single pot and versatile enough to please nearly any palette, from meat eater to vegetarian.
- 2 lb ground 99% fat-free turkey breast
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 whole green onion, sliced
- 1 15 oz can tri-bean blend
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 3 tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cilantro
- 1 tbs xylitol
- In a large pot add onions and meat, sprinkled with garlic powder and cook until no longer pink (drain using a plate, if desired).
- Next add the green chilies, beans, tomatoes, xylitol and spices (except cilantro) and stir until combined.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Finally, add cilantro. Serve hot.
- You may sprinkle veggie shreds or a light cheese on top.