Can you think of anything more mouthwatering than the words "fried avocado tacos?" Neither can we, which is why this is one recipe you don't want to miss.
- 2 avocado
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- ⅔ cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- ⅔ cup 2% greek yogurt, plain
- 2 oz chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 4 whole whole-wheat tortilla (10-inch)
- 4 tbsp pico de gallo
- 1 tsp cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the pits from the avocados. Slice each avocado into even wedges, about four slices per each half for a total of eight slices per avocado.
- Pour flour onto a plate or shallow dish. Pour panko bread crumbs on a separate plate or shallow dish. Whisk the egg white slightly in another bowl.
- Dip the avocado slices in the flour, then the egg white, then the panko, before placing them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper (or use a baking rack for more even-sided baking). Lightly spray avocado fries with olive oil before baking to help crust brown and get crispy.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Check them halfway through baking and flip, if needed, to get an even golden brown and crispy result. Remove fries when done and season immediately with sea salt and pepper.
- Place Greek yogurt, chipotle peppers, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside in the fridge.
- For a thinner sauce, add a tablespoon or two of water while blending.
- To assemble the tacos, place a whole-wheat tortilla in a taco stand and layer shredded purple cabbage, a dollop of chipotle sauce, 3-4 baked avocado fries, pico de gallo, and cilantro to taste.