To wake up your workouts, try popping a couple espresso energy balls rather than your usual pre-workout. You can even use them as a go-to snack choice, replacing the nutritional landmines that populate most vending machines. For higher-protein energy balls, try blending in a scoop of your favorite protein powder. Store balls in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Better-body bonus: According to research published in the New England Journal of Medicine, people who incorporate nuts into their daily diet may help support the health of their heart and respiratory system when compared to individuals who don't eat nuts daily. It's likely a synergy of vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, and unsaturated fats that makes nuts beneficial.
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- ½ cup almonds, chopped
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins
- ⅓ cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp natural almond butter
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 scoop(s) vanilla whey protein powder
- Place the espresso powder in a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons boiled water, and stir to dissolve. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Place the nuts and oats in a food processor, and process them until pulverized. Add the dissolved coffee, raisins, coconut, almond butter, cocoa powder, chia seeds, lemon zest, vanilla, and a pinch of salt; blend until the mixture clumps together.
- Form into 1-inch balls. You should get about 20 balls.