This burrito is as delicious as it is easy to make. Skip the fast-food drive-thru and instead make this delicious one-pan meal that's packed with melted cheese, avocado, and ground turkey. Did I mention it has 9 grams of fiber and 25 grams of protein per serving? It's a nutritional and taste win-win! Feel free to substitute ground turkey with chicken, beef, or pork, and season it to meet your favorite flavor profile.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 lb ground 99% fat-free turkey breast
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp, ground oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp table salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 15 oz kidney beans, canned
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup water
- 3 whole whole wheat soft tortillas
- ¾ cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the oil and onion, cooking the onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- When the meat is fully cooked, add the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and paprika, stirring it all together with the meat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the beans, salsa, and water. Stir everything together, and cook at a low simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Cut tortillas into strips. Stir in the tortilla strips, making sure to push them around in the pan so they are coated and soft, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and add the cheese over the top. Let stand for 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Top with optional avocado, tomatoes, yogurt, or sour cream, and green onions as desired.