Enjoy this recipe from Allinson that'll turn cheap ingredients into an expensive-tasting feast.
- 3 whole beef cheeks
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 4 stalk celery, finely diced
- 4 turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 serving (5 fl oz) red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp, leaves thyme
- Strip the tough membrane from the cheeks.
- Chewing cud makes the cheeks tougher than Chuck Norris's bodyguard, so they need to be braised in the oven or in a pan for 5-10 minutes.
- Slap half the ingredients into a large pot and splash in enough water to cover the meat.
- Pour a glass of wine, drink it, then pour one for the pot.
- Cook for two hours, then throw in the rest of the veggies and continue cooking until they're to your liking.
- The result? Beef so tender it chews like a mouthful of merlot, with enough extras for freezing.