I am seriously in love with these cupcakes! With the sweet creamy frosting and rich chocolate-cherry cake, you would never guess they're healthy and packed with protein! Whip up a batch of these beautiful Black Forest protein cupcakes for a special occasion, or keep them all to yourself for dessert, pre-workout, post-workout, or anytime! Sometimes you just need a cupcake.
- 75 g chocolate protein powder
- ½ cup powdered Stevia
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp table salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup egg whites
- ¼ cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp pure almond extract
- ½ cup, without pits dark sweet cherries
- 3 oz fat-free cream cheese
- 3 oz nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp powdered Stevia
- ⅛ tsp pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, then mix in wet ingredients until smooth. Fold in dark sweet cherries.
- Line eight wells of a muffin tin with paper or foil liners, or coat wells with cooking spray. Fill wells 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine frosting ingredients (adjust sweetness to taste) to spread over cupcakes once cool. For fancier frosting, use a piping bag, or a Ziploc bag with one corner cut off. I grated dark chocolate over my cupcakes and put a cherry on top of each one (not included in macros). Store leftovers in the fridge or freezer.