Just like salty, crunchy sweet-potato chips, I can't get enough of turkey-wrapped asparagus. Long story short, they make a great addition to any game-day spread. They're easy to prepare, high in protein, veggie rich, and most of all, delicious. If you're looking to add some variety and additional flavor, try brushing the wrapped spears with low-sodium barbecue sauce mixed with organic, raw honey to make a delicious, sweet glaze. Also try homemade teriyaki sauce, spicy mustard mixed with organic, raw honey, or even homemade lemon glaze—the options are virtually endless.
- 8 oz (1 serving) low-fat deli turkey
- 8 asparagus spears
- ½ tsp low-sugar barbecue sauce
- Set oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash the asparagus, then break the thick ends off the asparagus.
- Wrap asparagus in 1 ounce of turkey meat.
- Sear the wrapped asparagus in a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat for 2 minutes so the turkey is "cooked shut" or sealed.
- Remove and place on a baking rack or sheet. Rub with barbecue sauce.
- Bake in the oven for no more than 5 minutes so that the asparagus remain semi-firm.