When I got the request to "healthify" Grandma's applesauce cake, I didn't take the mission lightly. After several tries, I finally came up with the glorious dessert I was after. It has all the flavor, half the calories, twice the protein, and a fraction of the sugar of Grandma's original. This sweet-spiced cake is moist and filled with lots of plump raisins and crunchy pecans. This is one recipe I plan to make again and again!
- 90 g vanilla whey protein powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 6 tbsp Pyure organic stevia blend
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp allspice, ground
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup egg whites
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup (not packed) raisins, seedless
- ¼ tsp table salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients, and mix until combined.
- Stir in the chopped pecans and raisins.
- Pour the batter into a 7x5 or 8x6 baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the center is set but a toothpick or knife inserted comes out slightly dirty. (Overcooking will result in an overly dry cake).
- Cut into 8 pieces and enjoy!
- Store any leftovers in the freezer up to one month, and reheat them right before eating.