Who hasn't experienced the guilty pleasure of a tasty pumpkin scone, cheesecake, or bread at the local coffee shop? Unfortunately, they're pretty unhealthy, but they're so darn delicious! If only there was a healthy down-home pumpkin piece of heaven that someone on a diet could enjoy...
Well, there is—and I've got the recipe! You might not have guessed, but pumpkin is a very nutritious fruit offering a bunch of great health benefits. Unfortunately, those benefits are usually offset by adding too much sugar, simple carbs, and fat. However, this edition of LiveFit Recipes proves that you can throw a whole mess of healthy ingredients together to make a pumpkin protein bar that's soft, supple, and sinfully delicious.
Jamie Eason's Pumpkin Protein Bars
Watch The Video - 8:38
Pumpkin Protein Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup Xylitol Brown Sugar Blend
- 4-oz. jar baby food applesauce
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 15-oz. can raw pumpkin
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2 scoops vanilla whey protein
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish with nonstick spray.
- Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
- Add the oat flour, whey protein, almond milk, and walnuts, and mix until incorporated. Spread batter into the Pyrex dish and bake for 30 min.
- Makes 24 squares.
Serving Size (1 square) Recipe yields
Pumpkin Protein Bars PDF (12.5 KB)