Jamie Eason's LiveFit Recipes: Italian Turkey Burgers
We've all grown up with the traditional beefy, cheese-plastered hamburgers that you see at barbecues and restaurants all over the U.S. So tasty, yet so ruthlessly unhealthy! That's why I decided turn this American pastime on its head and churn out something that matches the taste, and outmatches the nutrition.
The fresh, juicy zucchini and mouthwatering spices are mixed right into the lean turkey, and with the all-natural Ezekiel bread and freshly sliced tomato, you'll get a splash of Italian zest for a truly refreshing, filling and fit-friendly burger.
So for today's LiveFit Recipe, enjoy an Italian burger that won't break your diet but will bring any burger connoisseur to their knees!
Jamie Eason's Italian Turkey Burgers
Watch The Video - 7:12
Italian Turkey Burgers Recipe
Makes 8 (5 oz burgers)
- 2 packages of ground extra lean turkey breast
- 4 medium zucchini, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Set broiler on high, arranging rack so that burgers will be about 2 inches from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine grated zucchini, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, dried basil, oregano, pepper and then turkey.
- Mix well and scoop out 4-to-5 oz portions. Mixture will be really moist so for easier clean up, use a foil-lined baking sheet, prepped with non-stick spray.
- Place burgers in oven and broil for 7 minutes. Carefully flip each burger and continue to broil for another 7 minutes on the other side. Serve warm.
Note: These are great at meatballs too! Make with spaghetti squash for a low carb meal.
- Follow This Discussion by:
I am going to use the meatball idea this week except use ground chicken since that is what is in the freezer. I also already have a zucchini and spaghetti squash in the fridge! This should be yummy!
I just made these today and they were delicious! I added some chopped bellpeppers to the mix which I thought was a great addition! I also put some crushed red pepper in there to add some spice!
I think next time I'm gonna add some chopped onion and maybe some feta or goat cheese if I have room for the extra calls/fat that day.
Overall great recipe though!! Thanks Jamie!
Just made the burgers and my family and I loooved them! Thanks for sharing. One question though I had leftovers so I made meatballs but where's the recipe for the spaghetti squash????? Any help please!!!! Thanks!
she nvr says HOW MUCH turkey to use. 2 packages could be anything... anyone know how much meat u guys are using? i used 2 packages of ground chicken and its like, super watery and not staying together. im about to try and add more chicken lol smh
I'm sure this is late, but I just used 1 container of firm tofu, added 3 egg whites and 1.5 cups of oats (to get them to stick together). The carb count for this is higher than Jamies' (I calculated it at 11 carbs/burger).