Jamie Eason's LiveFit Recipes: 3-Bean Turkey Chili
When most people think of eating healthfully, one of the first options to come to mind is a salad. But what about something as hearty and filling as chili? Can that be a healthy option? You bet! It's conveniently prepared in a single pot and versatile enough to please nearly any palette, from meat eater to vegetarian.
In my version of chili, I show you how to quickly throw together a hearty meal using extra-lean ground turkey, canned organic ingredients, and various spices. Prepare your chili on a Sunday for the entire family to enjoy, or save it to savor throughout the week!
Jamie Eason's 3-Bean Turkey Chili
Watch The Video - 7:44
3-Bean Turkey Chili Recipe
- 2 lbs. extra lean ground turkey
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 - 4 oz. cans of diced green chilies
- 1 - 15 oz. can Organic Tri-Bean Blend (drained)
- 1 - 15 oz. can Organic Black Beans (drained)
- 2 - 14.5 oz. cans Organic Diced Tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 tbsp. Xylitol Brown Sugar Blend (Ideal)
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 3 tbsp. regular yellow mustard
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. dried or fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. adobo sauce (optional)
- In a large pot add onions and meat, sprinkled with garlic powder and cook until no longer pink (drain using a plate, if desired).
- Next add the green chilies, beans, tomatoes, xylitol and spices (except cilantro) and stir until combined.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Finally, add cilantro. Serve hot.
- You may sprinkle veggie shreds or a light cheese on top.
Serving Size (1) Recipe yields 12 servings
3-bean turkey chili PDF (94 KB)
- Follow This Discussion by:
Has anyone tried to make this in a slow cooker? I am just doing that now...hopefully it won't dry out overnight. .it's on low and I added almost a can of water plus left the meat and onion juices with some EVOO ... I've maede this before following directions and it was delicious!
It would probably work out fine in the slow cooker as long as you browned the meat first, then just dump everything in and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
How much fiber is in a serving, because beans have a lot of fiber, and you subtract the amount of fiber from Carbs to get your net carbs. I'm on the carb cycling stage, so the amount of fiber and carbs is very important!
Wow, this was really good! Easy to make! But just a warning, it will make you have gas! And your bowels my seem a little out of wack with that green chili in it. But otherwise it's good, ha ha :)
made this a couple nights ago and it was delicious, I was skeptical about the mustard and vinegar but it was fine the only thing i did differently was I used extra lean ground chicken breast. Great recipe!
I would like to know the answer to this too. What meal should we use the chili for? Small meal option or lunch/dinner option?
Has anyone made this vegetarian style...if so...what did you use in place of the meat? I was thinking quinoa to keep my protein up....but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
I made this today! So good. I made a few tweeks since I thought it was a little dry. I added low sodium spicy V8 juice and I didn't find Chipotle seasoning so I left it out. I also used brown mustard because I don't like yellow mustard. I also used a spoonful of plain greek yogurt when I eat it, more protein and really good!
I like to add chick peas, just another source of partial protein and fiber.
I eat about 1&1/3 cups (about 300 calories).
If you freeze it in 1&1/2 cup containers, it makes a great lunch when re-heated..