Employ variety and change to shock the muscle groups of the arms as much as possible to build the kind of quality muscle you want! You've gotta make them respond with whatever it takes to make them grow no matter what size they are!
The great advantage to training arms is that it doesn't take much motivation to want to blast them! But, developing competition worthy arms is more than just a matter of size building.
Every contour, striation, and angle must be brought out. It takes a variety of high intensity arm exercises to confuse the arms into gigantic, ripped proportions.
Make sure each part of your arms gets equal training so that one part doesn't dwarf another.
- For a front-double biceps pose for example, you want the biceps to have high peaks while the triceps hang with density and thickness below.
- The forearm should have good angles and striation above the elbow and up to complete the pose and tie in with your massive delts, traps, and pecs.
- The sweeping lats, ripped abs, and full rib cage complete the pose.
This kind of development isn't something you're born with. It takes hard work, dedication and hard training over the entire body in balance and power.
Want 20" Arms?
Although the first thing you may think of when you imagine perfect arms is bulging biceps, it's interesting to point out that the upper arm is only one-third biceps.
The other two-thirds is triceps. So, in order to get those sought-after 20" guns, it takes heavy work on both the biceps and triceps. 20 inchers were in the status of mythical mid-century until they were finally attained by John C. Grimek.
Grimek pulled off the win for Mr. America in 1940 and 1941 with his intimidating monstrous arms. Since then, many hardcore bodybuilders have been able to attain the magical 20 inches and even more including the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Larry Scott, Bill Pearl, Mike Christian, Clancy Ross, Jack Dellinger and Franco Columbo, just to name a few - although this feat is not an easy one!
Tips On How To Build Huge Biceps
- Train consistently, never miss workouts.
- Concentrate hard on each set.
- Do 21's with a standing barbell.
- Do basic movements to begin with for building mass
- Standing barbell curls
Seated or Standing dumbbell curls
- Do isolation curls, concentration curls and cable curls just before your bodybuilding competition for maximum peaking.
Tips On How To Build Huge Triceps
- Use continuous tension throughout triceps isolation movements over the full range of motion.
- Completely flex the entire triceps by extending the arms fully so that the maximum number of muscle cells are involved in the movement.
- Always train the smaller triceps after the larger muscle groups of the deltoids and pectorals.
Tips On How To Build Huge Forearms
- Save your forearms for last when training because they are the smaller weaker group and if you do them first, you won't get as much out of your other training.
- Always bomb the forearms very last in your workout.
- Bear down on them! Train them hard and consistently to build them up.
- Train heavy.
Weak Point Training
Lying Cable Curl
Lift Heavy. Takes intense mental focus and concentration. Visualize your biceps growing! Do Barbell Curls and Cheating Reps.
For Length, Thickness
Preacher curls work very well for isolation and thickness development. For even better isolation, try the single arm isolation preacher machine (Ex - Shown with two arms). Try rotating the wrists 180 degrees for your last set.
Concentration curls work well to build that peak. Use a dumbbell or cable for the movement. The intensity should be placed heavily on the top one-third of the muscle mass. Flex your biceps as hard as possible without causing them to cramp at the top of the movement for peak development.
This should really burn and give you a tremendous pump. Dumbell curls that cause your thumb to point outward by twisting the wrist towards the outside of your body as you lift the weight will build great height also. After completely burning the biceps strike some poses in the mirror emphasizing your peak.
For Mass & Outer Thickness
Any kind of curls that bring the weight in towards your chest, such as Close-Grip Barbell Curls or Close-Grip Preachers will develop great mass and outer thickness. Concentration curls that are done inward toward the center of the body will get that outer thickness growing too.
Mass & Inner Thickness
Hammer curls work very well for developing inner thickness. Hammer curls are where you face your palm inward rather than upward as you lift the weight in a semicircular arc. You will notice the difference in stress this places on the biceps. Also, some basic movements work will such as standing barbell curls (wide-grip), seated or standing dumbbell curls, incline dumbbell curls, wide-grip barbell preacher curls.
For Striation, Separation, & Definition
Use as many different biceps exercises as possible. Dumbbell movements are a must because of the great range of motion they provide and the ability you have of hitting every different angle with them. Reverse curls are very good at developing the brachio radialis and biceps so that your back double bicep pose shows lots of definition.
Close-Grip Barbell Bench Press
For Mass & Upper Triceps
For Mass & Lower Triceps
Weighted dips and dips behind the back in which you descend fully, but only go three-quarters of the way up force intense concentration on the lower portion of the triceps because stress is placed on them constantly during the set.