Providing a good balance of carbs, protein, and fats, these portable nutrient-dense balls are what your body needs to take the edge off hunger before a hard workout or when a midafternoon energy slump strikes. Nutty and slightly sweet, red lentils break down easily when cooked, making them a good option for blended recipes like this one.
- ½ cup red lentils
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup natural almond butter
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup(s) vanilla whey protein powder
- ⅓ cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp table salt
- Place lentils in a saucepan with 1 cup of water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes until lentils are very tender and water has been absorbed. Set lentils aside to cool.
- Place oats in a food processor and blend until pulverized. Add cooked lentils and remaining ingredients and blend until mixture clumps together. Place mixture in the refrigerator for about 1 hour. This will help the mixture firm up a bit.
- Keeping your hands damp, roll mixture into balls about the size of golf balls. You should get 16 balls.