Sweet potatoes are an excellent carbohydrate source. Rich in fiber, high in nutrients, and sweet in taste, they're a can't-miss food for fitness enthusiasts. Have this spicy soup hot on a cold night, or chill it for a refreshing summer side.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup sweet potato, cut into cubes
- 6 medium carrots, chopped
- 1½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Once the pot is hot, sauté onions, sweet potato, and carrots for 8-10 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Add the spices, coconut milk, and broth to the pot. Cook for another 5 minutes, then cool for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. (Always be careful blending hot ingredients. If they are too hot, they can blast the top off the blender, sending hot liquid in all directions.)
- Place the blended ingredients back in the pot and warm for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add a garnish of your choice and serve. Options include: fresh cilantro, grated coconut, or coconut cream.