[ Q ] How come you chose the NPC USAs rather than the Nationals?
[ A ]
- I chose the USAs because there are only two pro cards given out. If I can get a pro card there, that means that I beat the best of the best and didn't just win my weight class. If I can achieve that I would feel confident that I would be ready for the pro stage.
[ A ]
- Those are all very tough competitors. I am not sure where I will place next to these guys but I feel that Allen and Atoyan are the guys to beat in that class. There are also a few others that could be a big threat like
You just never know who is going to show up and sometimes guys will make huge improvements over the course of their off-season and surprise everyone.
[ Q ] Rumor has it that between June 20-21 (the Junior Nationals) and July 25-26 (the USAs), you've not only put on size, but also gotten leaner. What have you done differently in terms of your supplementation, training and diet?
[ A ]
- I have been working with
- since 3 weeks before the Jr. Nationals. Dave has taught me a lot. The only change that I have made to the diet he set up for me was altering my
- intake slightly as I felt it was too low. Dave will probably kill me for doing that but sometimes you just have to listen to your body. So far it has paid off.
- My lean mass has increased by about 8.5 lbs and my body fat has decreased by another 1.5 lbs. My training has changed since the Jr. Nationals as well.
I was previously training with a friend and fellow USA competitor, Nathan DeTracy. Nathan trains at his gym (www.trainevolution.us) early in the morning and then does a second workout in the afternoon. I was doing my cardio sessions after each of these workouts. I gave this training style a try but found that it didn't work for me like it did for Nate.
- I have always achieved the best results when I get one cardio session out of the way upon waking and then hit the gym after eating my first two meals of the day. I continue to train heavy as if I were trying to gain muscle until a week before the show. I feel that this helps to keep my
- elevated because of all the repair work that has to be done throughout the next 24 hours.
- The Power Of A Refeed And Leptin! - By Shannon Clark
- Energy Needs... What Are Your Requirements? - By BiologyBabe
- Energy System Training For Fat Loss! - By Alwyn Cosgrove
- Other Metabolism Articles...
I will do my 2nd cardio session following the weight training. Going back to this style of training and increasing my protein intake slightly have helped to improve my physique since the Jr. Nationals.
[ Q ] How do you feel about your 3rd place finish at the Junior Nationals?
[ A ]
- I am never satisfied with placing anything less than first. I do feel that 3rd was a fair placing for the way my physique looked at that time. I was using the Jr. Nationals as a warmup for the USA's so I had only been dieting for 9 weeks at that point.
- I can't really complain too much since the other guys had worked much longer than I had to stand on that stage and their physiques showed that. Both Keith Williams and Sean Allen looked phenomenal.
[ Q ] When did you become a Twinlab athlete, and what is your relationship with the company like?
[ A ]
- I became part of Twinlab's Team Fuel in April of this year. So far the experience has been great. They have been treating my very well. I couldn't have asked for a better sponsor. This year is the first time that I have really made use of lots of supplements, now that I have Twinlab's full line at my disposal.
- I recently had the opportunity to visit their manufacturing facility in Utah and I have to say, they are really dedicated to the quality of their products. They constantly test and re-test their products throughout the manufacturing process using an absolutely state-of-the-art lab to ensure that the products are of the highest quality possible.
[ Q ] What makes you worthy of a pro card? Why do you deserve this IFBB card more than anyone else?
[ A ]
- To be honest, I am not sure if I am worthy of a pro card yet. That will be determined in Las Vegas. I think the guy that shows up with the best physique on that day is the guy who deserves the pro card. I hope that I am that guy. I do feel that I have outstanding lines and
- and my physique is very complete which could be just enough to put at the top.
[ Q ] (After the USAs) What is next for Todd Jewell?
[ A ]
- I plan on competing at the North American Championships if I don't earn a pro card at the USA's. After that I will be taking a much needed off-season and re-evaluate my plan at that time.
[ Q ] And to end on a high note, is there any message you would like to leave your fans, and other aspiring bodybuilders with? Any words of wisdom and encouragement?
[ A ]
- I would like to thank the fans for all of their support over the last couple of years. The fans are what make this sport possible.
I was sitting in the audience at the 2003 USA Championships watching the show with the hopes of competing in the light-heavy class the following year. Now 5 years later, I am preparing to compete for a pro card in the super-heavy class at that same show.
There were a lot of people along the way that told me I couldn't do it. If you listen to those people, you just may prove them right. Believe in yourself and you can reach your goals.