Stay tight and keep your hard earned physique pulled together using my at home Super Set workout. When pressed for time, I power through these Super Sets 2-3 X a week. The secret is adding some key body weight resistance to target my large muscle groups with a pump.
I have had to develop an at home workout to fit into my super busy lifestyle that delivers. All the traveling I do for modeling, acting, representing Bodybuilding.com and fitness products across the nation creates a tight schedule for me. I have to portray a fit lifestyle on demand. We live in a time challenged age and driving to the gym is not always the best use of time or even possible sometimes for days on end.
I highly recommend using these types of Super Sets to stay in shape in between your regular program.
| Hundreds Of Workouts - Design Your Own!
With so many different workout combinations, it's tough to know what workout is best for you! We've found that there are a number of workout philosophies that merit a presence here.
[ Click here to learn more. ]
At first glance, this may seem too easy. It is harder to do and more effective than it looks. Remember, adding anything new to your workout is a good way to receive gains. I have been using this method for years with surprising positive results. Your muscles may even be a little sore!
The best part of this workout is it is on your own personal timetable. No getting dressed, no fuss, no muss!
- Put on some supportive footwear to avoid sloppy execution. Form is still important while working out at home.
- I like to have music playing and although this is not necessary, it motivates me.
- Get a portable mat or towel to sit and lay on.
- Find 20 minutes andï¿½ GO!
Take 5 minutes to bend, swing, stretch and move all body parts to get your blood flowing and warm up your core body temperature. Use as full of a range of motion as comfortable. Do not force. Simple and easy is the key here. When in doubt about injuries or limitations, ask your doctor or a trusted sports medicine trainer.
The effective aspect of a Super Set is the no rest factor from the first exercise to the next. The rest period comes after exercises are performed back to back. Try to get 3-4 sets total from each of your Super Sets. Mix and match up some of your favorite exercises to make up your very own Super Sets. You can even add in a third exercise to put into your program rotations for more variety.
* Go at your own speed. As you get more comfortable and stronger, pick up the intensity.
What Is A Super Set?
||View The Video:
Choose your version:
This is a good way to train if time is limited. Supersetting involves doing two exercises with no rest in between. There are a number of different types of supersets.
Same Part Supersetting
This is the most common type. Do two different exercises that work the same bodypart, e.g. incline curls then barbell curls.
This is essentially pre-exhaust supersetting. Do a set of an isolation exercise then a set of a compound exercise, e.g. dumbbell flyes then bench press.
Do a set of an exercise for one bodypart then immediately do a set of an exercise for the antagonistic bodypart, e.g. barbell curls then tricep pushdowns.
Upper Body/Lower Body Supersetting Do an upper body exercise then a lower body exercise, or vice versa, e.g. chest then calves or calves then chest.
In-Set Superset Do two different exercises within a rep.
Do not superset muscles that assist with the other exercise unless you do them second, e.g. do not do pushdowns then bench press - tricep fatigue will limit your bench press work. You can, however, do the bench press first then do pushdowns.
An exception to this is if you are doing it to push your triceps further with the assistance of the pecs and shoulders. Then do triceps first. This would be a type of pre-exhaust superset.
Super Set A
Squats - 15-25
- Start with feet shoulder width apart, toes straight ahead, knees over and behind toes, most weight is on heels, drop hips back like sitting on an invisible chair. Exhale on the down. Stand all the way up with straight back in between squats.
* To add intensity - add upper body/arm chest and back contractions (same tempo) light hand weights work well
* Add leg lifts on the way up (front and side) Start with bent knee ups and work towards straight leg raises)
Gluteus, quads, hamstrings, flexors, (upper body if added).
Sit-Ups - 15 - 50
- Lie on your back, bend knees, lower back stays on the ground - no arching, hands behind head - do not pull, chin up, exhale at the top.
* Add rhythm changes
Walking Lunges - 10 -20 (20-40 steps)
- Take BIG steps forward, back straight - do not lean forward, front knee over and behind front toe, back knee does not have to touch the ground - lower to your own level. Take the next big step using other leg. 10 lunges are 20 steps total.
* Add back leg lift to squeeze gluteus - no leaning forward.
* Hold onto light hand weights.
Gluteus, quads, hamstrings.
Push Ups - 8 - 25
- Start on hands and knees, lower to floor or as far as possible, hands shoulder width apart, back straight, neck in alignment with your spine, abs in, press up, do not snap elbows. Exhale at the top.
For wrist troubles, try holding onto the sides of a chair to keep wrists straight or do your push ups at the wall with spine straight.
* Add intensity by doing push ups on your toes to failure. Finish off on knees. The closer your feet are to each other, the harder it is!
Chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, abdominals.
Sample Super Set Workout:
5 minute full body stretch and warm up.
If you have a piece of cardio equipment in your home this works also.
Super Set A:
- 20 Squats
- 25 Crunches
- Rest 1 minute (stretch, deep breathe, get up, move around a bit)
Repeat Super Set A:
- 20 Squats with alt.side leg raises
- 25 Lower abdominal knee raises
Repeat Super Set A:
- 20 Squats with back and chest stretch/squeeze
- 25 Crunches
Repeat Super Set A:
- 20 Squats
- 40 alt. Oblique abdominal crunches
Move on to Super Set B program. (View Program)
All finished! Enjoy your day!
There are many people who use this type of workout for resistance training all of the time. Try adding cardiovascular sessions at 35-45 minutes 3-5 X a week and you'll have a great program for getting and staying in shape all year.
Super Sets are invigorating and you will be glad all day you were able to find some time for you and just you.
After all, a happier, healthier you is better for us all!