The gym has become a Mecca for 'meeting and greeting' new people. This 'meat market' has increased the popularity of single sex gyms and fashionable workout clothes. One of the biggest questions I get from men is how to pick a girl up from a gym environment. After all, it can be very intimidating since there is probably 10 other guys looking at the same girl you want to date.
Before You Meet
Here are 10 things to look for and access before you meet your potential mate:
Whenever you have a target goal you must always assess the situation. Assessing the situation means researching your target, analyzing their actions, and become instinctive about their personality. By doing so, you become more aware on how to market yourself when executing your mission plan to date her.
- Check if she has a ring on her wedding finger.
- If not, does she have a tan line on her wedding finger?
- Do you have eye contact with her occasionally?
- What kind of personality does she emanate? (shy, talkative, flirtatious, confident)
- Notice what reading material she reads.
- Estimate her time of arrival and departure at the gym.
- Observe how she interacts with other men at the gym.
- See if she's a beginner, average or an intermediate gym outer.
- Pick up on her patterns: what she drinks, how she trains, who she talks to.
- Get a 'vibe' from her. A vibe is an invisible message to you that she likes you.
Opportunities To Talk
Here are 10 opportunities to talk to her:
Getting noticed will be fairly easy if you are confident, fit and extroverted. There are key moments when you are able to actually converse with someone at the gym. These moments are called "market windows" at the gym (I just made that up).
- Approach her to assist when she is struggling to adjust a weight (especially leg extension machines!)
- When she is done with the squat or bench press, act like you are using it next and help take off her plates. That will spark conversation!
- Stretch in the group exercise room when she is in there performing lunges, core work or stretching.
- Watch out in case she drops anything on the ground so you can retrieve it for her.
- Train cardio close to her but not on the machine directly beside her.
- Buy her a post-workout smoothie (But be incognito about it. Let her wonder who her secret admirer is)
- Accidently start training on her machine when she is getting water
- Say something to her if you notice her absence (if she is sick or travelling)
- Initiate conversation during rest times and ask her about a local event.
- Be real and tell her she's beautiful and that you'd like to take her out sometime.
10 Habits Of Highly Offensive Gym Goers
Read these 10 gym 'don'ts' to ensure that you're being an obliging, neighborly gym member. You don't want to be the gym jerk!
Here are 10 Rules Of Gym Etiquette to prove you're a distinguished gentleman at the gym!
In order for her to gain interest in you, you have to consistently show that you are not annoying, obtrusive or rude. Bad impressions are REALLY hard to sever. So make sure you always wear deodorant, clean clothes and a healthy smile each and every day at the gym. You never know when that day just might be the day!
1 Don't Hog The Cardio Machines
Nothing is worse than being the bad guy during gym happy hour. If 30 minutes is the time limit, and 45 minutes is your goal, either get off and go to another machine or train at a less busy time of day. What would be worse is if she was the one waiting for a machine to open up and everyone knew you were the culprit.
2 Don't Stare
Staring makes people feel uncomfortable and annoyed. Sometimes guys stare so long just to make a woman eventually stare back. The bottom line is that if she wanted to look at you, she would. Staring objectifies her and will cause annoyance.
3 Put Away Your Weights
I can only imagine how a guy acts like home if he can't even put away his own weights at the gym. It's terrible! Show courtesy and be a good gym rat: put away your weights otherwise be prepared for what it reflects in your living habits.
4 Don't Block The Mirrors
If she is engaged in a set, don't walk or stand in front of him/her. It interrupts her focus. While it seems that standing in front of her is the easiest way to get her attention, think again. It's rude.
5 Bring A Towel... And Use It
No one wants your sweat, so wipe down all machines after use. Women still consider sweat gross and smelly. While it's important to prove you are a man who loves to train, don't leave evidence!
6 Do NOT Interrupt During A Set
Don't ask her if she is:
- Finished using the bench?
- Using 'that' weight?
- If you know someone had left the equipment
- etc... etc.. etc.
Moral of story? WHENEVER ANYONE IS MOVING that means STOP. Ruining her workout won't get her excited about knowing you.
7 Huffing, Puffing And Grunting Are Not Cool
Have you ever watched a really big guy, (or even many small ones) make sooo much noise when lifting a weight that the whole gym is literally staring at him? Usually people are staring with a weird look on their face, and most likely if she is staring, she is giving you that same weird look.
8 Don't Exhibit Laziness By Talking On Your Cell Phone
Cell phone talking is such a distraction in a gym environment. People are there to train and when you pull out your toy and start chatting away, don't expect to build brownie points with the girl you're vying for. She will most likely think you don't take your workouts seriously or that you're 'pimping' other girls and couldn't wait after your training session.
9 Do Not Wander Aimlessly
Around The Gym
I apologize for being rude with this peeve - but Gym Wanderers are annoying. Men who wander not only look like they don't know what they're doing but, they also sometimes invade personal workout space. Please act like you are on a mission and do it!
10 Don't Give Advice Unless It's Absolutely Called For
Women don't mind advice, but when it comes in a flirtatious manner, it can be uncomfortable. If you act like a professional, even say that you are a personal trainer (even if you are not) that will definitely help in her openness towards talking with you. However, the majority of men should not be giving advice and should wait until she observes that you are a fitness veteran before you approach her.
Good luck fellow gym trainers and enjoy the process of meeting your mate. It's always fun to meet like-minded people who enjoy the same benefits of fitness as you do. Finding a mate that understands your commitment to your health/fitness is hard to find, unless that person is already a regular gym bunny. Happy hunting y'all!