Why I decided to transform
I was skinny but had a pouch that I couldn't stand anymore. I wanted a flat stomach so I would look skinny and fit. When I turned 40 years old, I wanted to change my lifestyle and decided to work out, eat clean, and enter the fitness world.
Turning to fitness is one of the best choices I ever made. I feel better about myself and my eating habits and I feel more energized. I hope to inspire women and men my age to follow their dreams because dreams can happen at any age.
How I accomplished my goals
It took me a little more than a year to transform because I would start a plan, eat clean for about a month, then give up because I didn't see any progress. Sometimes I felt too old to transform and questioned my motives. I jumped plans often because I felt nothing was working. My coach at the time was awesome. She put me on eating plans and updated my workouts regularly.
The mistake I made was that I always compared myself to others and got discouraged. My best friend Danny kept motivating me and said I wasn't far from looking like a bikini competitor. He would send me pictures of girls who competed and were about the same height and weight as me, which brought me back to my feet to try again.
Minerva, an amazing coach and trainer, changed my life. She gave me a solid workout plan and meal plan with a list of protein and carbs to choose from. I worked out six days per week and did cardio every day. I had to be strict on myself to stick with the diet plan. It got hard because I have two teenage daughters who eat whatever they want. I prepped my meals on Sunday and packed them with me when I was out doing errands.
Everybody said to keep my eyes on the prize. I took photos every weekend to track my progress. I also learned to avoid comparing myself to others. With help and motivation from my fit team and coach, I stepped on stage at the St. Pete Muscle Classic on Sept 14, 2013, and took fifth place in the bikini over 30 class A division.
I'm very proud of my hard work and commitment and am ready to build and tone more to step back on stage next year.
What aspect challenged me the most
My biggest challenge was the diet. It was different to eat six meals per day instead of three or whenever I got hungry. It was hard because I wasn't a big vegetable eater.
When it got closer to competition, I cut back even more. I met with my coach every Saturday, which made me accountable for my diet and actions. I knew she would know if I cheated.
My future fitness plans
My future fitness plan is to build more muscle and tone up in off-season so I'm more prepared for competitions next year. I want to qualify for nationals and try for a pro card. My ultimate goal is to inspire as many people as possible.
Suggestions for aspiring transformers
- Don't compare yourself to others.
- Stay consistent with your workout and eating plan.
- Progress photos are the best way to see changes in your body.
- Keep a blog or a journal to keep your mind free and clear.
- Anything is possible if you give it everything you've got.
- Keep your eye on the prize and you will succeed.
How Bodybuilding.com helped me reach my goals
I live on Bodybuilding.com. I learned about supplements, health, and training because of Bodybuilding.com. I'm constantly on BodySpace connecting with people who have similar goals and struggles.
I get lots of feedback and pep talks from my BodySpace friends, which helps a lot. The articles are really helpful and motivating.
Mady's Top 5 Gym Tracks
- "Titanium" by David Guetta ft Sia
- "Started From The Bottom" by Drake
- "I'm Into You" by Jennifer Lopez
- "Take Care" by Drake
- "Scream & Shout" by Will.i.am (Feat. Brittney Spears)
- To Kelly for seeing my potential and introducing me to the fitness world.
- To my coach, Minerva, for showing me tough love and making my dreams come true.
- To my fit family for helping me at my first show and for cheering me on.
- To my daughters for supporting my journey.
- To my best friend for always believing in me and motivating me to succeed.
- To my BodySpace friends for the motivation and encouraging words.