WEIGHT 196 lbs
BODY FAT 21%
WEIGHT 181 lbs
BODY FAT 7%
Why I Decided To Transform
I realized I needed to change my life or I was going to die from addiction. I was prescribed pain medications for two years for a herniated disk and annular tear of L5-S1 disks. My weight was out of control and I lost all motivation to take care of my body. My blood pressure soared high, as did my weight.
I was taking the strongest narcotic dose doctors could prescribe me. The prescriptions quickly took a turn towards addiction and I was on a crash course toward a very young death. I awoke January 1, 2012 and faced the reality that I had become addicted to opiate pain medications and needed help.
I spoke with my wife and told her I needed to check into a detox/rehab clinic. One of the hardest things I have ever had to do was admit to my wife that I had a problem. I took the first step towards changing my life and body that day.
I made up my mind that I was going to reclaim my body and become the man that my wife had married. I wanted to strengthen my core and try to relieve my pain naturally through proper nutrition and exercise. On March 28, 2012, I found the MusclePharm Live Shredded contest on Bodybuilding.com and decided to enter.
I began researching proper diets and exercise programs along and found many great articles and videos on Bodybuilding.com. I knew I could do it. So, with my wife's support, I began the journey to transform my body.
How I Accomplished My Goals
I loved the look of muscular bodies since I was young. I knew if I ended my addiction to painkillers, cold turkey, then I could change my body. I sought the help of local physique competitor, Kaley Carson, in my hometown of Truckee, California. She built my diet and cardio program from day one of my 12-week transformation.
I read for a couple months about proper lifting techniques and got the basics down to begin on my own. I spent every night reading and watching videos about different training principles on Bodybuilding.com before bed. I frequently read 4-5 transformation articles for daily motivation. I had a strong desire to change my physique and never really doubted myself.
It was difficult to finish all of my meals at first. My body was not used to eating every 2-3 hours and drinking a gallon and a half of water everyday. But after a few weeks, I began to get the hang of it.
For me, the meal frequency and schedule was the toughest aspect. Cardio training twice a day for 35 minutes wasn't that bad and the weight training was a fun challenge. I enjoyed seeing how hard I could push my body.
What Aspect Challenged Me The Most
The most difficult aspect of my transformation was staying true to a strict diet. I love to cook and eat. In fact, I cook all meals for my wife and I. I prepared a separate meal for her each evening. I'm not amazing in the kitchen, but do consider my cooking very tasty.
I had to resist digging into my wife's food and fight cravings for frozen pizza and Ben and Jerry's every day for the last four weeks of my transformation. But, I stayed strong and made it through one meal at a time.
My Future Fitness Plans
I'm still dieting currently to compete in my first bodybuilding show. I've always wanted to step on stage and display a perfectly ripped and muscular physique.
Suggestions For Aspiring Transformers
- Trust that your diet will work. Six packs are made in the kitchen.
- Take every set to failure while training.
- Make sure you tell everyone the plans to transform your body. It will make you accountable to follow through.
- Keep everyone in the loop with your progress.
- If you slip up and have a cheat meal, get right back on your diet. Don't allow it to become a cheat day, or worse yet, a cheat week.
- Meal frequency is one of the most important aspects. It will keep the cravings at bay and you'll feel less hungry throughout the day.
- Stay busy. Always try to fill your time so you're not bored or tempted to eat junk.
- Rid your home of junk food. If possible, give it to a food bank to help others.
- Prepare your food in bulk and pre-portion/weigh your food to save time.
How Bodybuilding.com Helped Me Reach My Goals
From the first order I placed at Bodybuilding.com I realized how great the customer service was. I have many options to buy all things fitness at local retailers, but Bodybuilding.com really makes me feel as if they're a local store.
I stayed awake for an hour or two, lying in bed watching videos on Bodybuilding.com every single night. I loved watching Kris Gethin transform his body. He was a huge inspiration and gave me tons of amazing information. I could not live without the endless supply of how-to videos and articles.
Bodybuilding.com is my number one website and has become my favorite place to spend hard earned money. Thank you all for such amazing support.
- From day one, my wife Patricia was at my side. She encouraged me when I was down, grounded me when I flew too high, and has loved me every second of every day. She is my heart.
- To my brother and best friend, Scott, who pushes me to be the best I can be every day.
- To my beautiful and amazing sister, Erica, who was a catalyst in my decision to begin this journey. Her physique is flawless and her work ethic is second to none.
- To my wonderful friends, Alex and Tara, who took my after photos and encouraged me to keep up the hard work.
- To Kaley, who helped my diet and gave me cardio recommendations.
- Of course to God, my parents, and my entire extended family and friends who have been behind me the entire way.