- Name: Matthew Owen
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Age: 20
- Where: Nottoway, VA
- Height: 5'10"
- Weight: 190 Lbs Off 168 Lbs Contest
- Years Bodybuilding :3
- Favorite Bodypart: Heart
- Favorite Exercise: Deadlift
- Favorite Supplements: Scivation Xtend
How Did You Get Started?
I got into bodybuilding when I was 17(though I had already been working out religiously for a couple years). After having a compound fracture to my right arm, I wanted some better knowledge and motivation to get back into the weight room when I was capable. I bought some muscle magazine and flipped through it and decided I could and wanted to compete. After almost 2 years of correcting a lot of my symmetry and proportion, I did my first contest.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
|TERMS YOU'LL NEED TO KNOW|
I do not change the way I lift weights for a contest. My reps and sets stay the same. I even still make gains in strength. This is the routine I'm currently on:
Day 1: Shoulders/Triceps
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Dumbbell Bent-Over Lateral Raise: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Barbell Upright Rows: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated Dumbbell Shrugs: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Standing Barbell Shrugs: 1-2 sets of 10-20 reps
- Weighted Dips: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Barbell Skull Crushers: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Standing Dumbbell Overhead Extension: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Day 2: Legs (Heavy)
- Barbell Squats: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
- Stiff Leg Deadlift: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
- Barbell Walking Lunges: 2 sets of 8-12 reps
- One Leg Curl: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- One Leg Extension: 2 sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated Toe Press: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
- Standing Toe Press: 3 sets of 20-40 reps
Day 3: Off
Day 4: Chest/Rear Deltoid/Triceps
- Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
- Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Flat Dumbbell Flyes: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Pushups: 2 sets to failure
- Bent-Over Lateral Raise: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Standing Dumbbell Overhead Extension: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
- Barbell Skull Crusher: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- V-Bar/Rope Extensions: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Day 5: Legs (Light)
- Leg Curl: 4 sets of 6-10 reps
- Leg Extension: 4 sets of 6-10 reps
- Dumbbell Walking Lunges: 2 sets of 8-12 reps
- Squats: 2 sets of 10-15 reps
- Standing Toe Press: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
- Seated Toe Press: 3 sets of 20-40 reps
Day 6: Back/Biceps
Day 7: Off
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
I eat once every 2 to 3 hours in the off season and when dieting for a contest, so sometimes I end up eating 7 or 8 meals depending on how late I have to stay up. Below is my average off season diet. If I end up eating an extra meal or 2 during the day, it would usually look like meal 2 or 3. I drink about a gallon of water a day.
Meal 4: Post Workout
- 25-35 grams of Myofusion
- 50-80 grams of Sugar (liquid, preferably Orange Juice)
- 5-7 scoops SciVation Xtend
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
SciVation Xtend helped me recover from my workouts a little better I felt. I took 5 scoops pre workout and through the beginning of my workout, and 2 scoops after my workout. I also take whey (always trying different brands) once to twice a day. At the moment I'm using Myofusion. I usually take 25-35 grams of whey after a workout, and if eating protein just seems too hard or inconvenient I will take another 25 gram scoop at that meal. I usually keep a multivitamin in my diet as well (always trying different brands). Opti-Men has been my favorite.
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
I love bodybuilding because it makes me feel accomplished and worth something. This is something I can honor God with, on and offstage. It has taught/gave me many principles and traits from drive, consistency, patience, to making wiser decisions.
What Motivates You To Follow A Healthy Lifestyle?
Honestly, I'm driven by addiction, I don't need motivation. Though wanting to become a natural professional bodybuilder really pushes me through a lot in and out of the gym.
What Made You Want To Achieve Your Goals?
I wanted to do something competitive with my physique and all the hard work and dedication I have put into it. I feel a calling to compete as a bodybuilder. Competing gives meaning/purpose to building and sculpting my physique.
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
My future plans at the moment are to get as muscularly big as possible to try and go pro in the INBF in 2011. I definitely have some work ahead of me within the next year. I would like to be known as one of the youngest pros. I'm also doing my best in the gym and on stage so I can get sponsored.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
- Be consistent. The art of building the body takes much time, so have patience.
- Be knowledgeable. In the sport of building muscle, it never hurts to do the research to know as much as you can.
- Have fun. Bodybuilding is a lifestyle and a passion, love it.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
What Features Do You Use On Bodybuilding.com?
I like the store for the huge selection, great prices and the supplement ratings. I like the super site for some of the articles, contest coverage, and for the amateurs of the week. I like the forums and BodySpace for getting others help and opinions on many things.