- Name: R.D. Noren II
- E-mail: R.D.Noren@djj.state.ga.us
- Age: 45
- Where: Rome, Georgia
- Height: 5' 3"
- Weight: 180 Lbs., Contest: 143 Lbs.
- Years Bodybuilding :20
- Favorite Bodypart: Legs & Back
- Favorite Exercise: Front Squats & Reverse-Grip Bent-Over Rows
- Favorite Supplements: Gaspari Nutrition SizeOn, Gaspari Nutrition Intrapro and Gaspari Nutrition SuperPump250.
How Did You Get Started?
I got started while going to Texas A&M University trying to rehabilitate an injured knee from soccer. After graduation I moved back to Arlington, Texas and wound up at Metroflex Gym with the likes of Ronnie Coleman, Branch Warren and Gus Carter. It is easy to get bit by the bodybuilding bug at Metroflex. The owner Brian Dobson took me under his wing and made me the bodybuilder I am today. All my success have I achieved (2 Texas State Titles, 3 Georgia State Titles and 2 Masters National Titles) I owe to Brian Dobson and the favor shown me by my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Brian and I remain very close friends to this day despite living 800 miles apart.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
I try to prioritize legs as I feel they are my worst body part, so I take training them as a challenge. I take the day before and the 2 days after leg day off for rest and recovery. Then the remainder of the body is done the other 3 days of the week broken down in the following way:
Sample Training Week:
Note: My calves get such a pump I can't do both movements on the same day. I only do Abs the last 12 weeks before a show. Recently I have tried some of Milos Sarcev's super slow movements I got from watching The Fit Show on Bodybuilding.com and really feel it, but only use it one movement per bodypart.
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
I utilize a fairly high protein, moderate carb and low fat diet. I eat clean 95% of the time as it has become the norm for me. I take in 6 meals per day. I use lean protein sources like egg whites, chicken breasts, extra lean ground beef and Gaspari Nutrition Intrapro.
My complex carb sources are mostly grits, oatmeal and brown rice. Every morning starts with grits, egg whites and fat free cheese mixed together, mmm good! Pre-training is oatmeal mixed with raisins and a banana and a separate bowl of egg whites. I drink the Gaspari Nutrition Intrapro right after I train.
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
Gaspari Nutrition SizeOn, Gaspari Nutrition Intrapro, Gaspari Nutrition SuperPump250 and MRM L-Glutamine 1000. The Gaspari Nutrition SizeOn is by far my favorite. I use it in the water I drink while I train. It enabled me to train hard and heavy even while on very low carbs preparing for the 2006 NPC Masters Nationals.
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
1) I love competition and having to rely on myself. That is why bodybuilding is superior to team sports. Every good bodybuilder has his support team but you are the one that has to bust it in the gym everyday, do your diet, cardio, ect. I like that.
2) It is a great stress reliever. I am the Lead Special Education Teacher at a youth detention center (a jail for juveniles). We get kids from about 7 to 19 years old. They are charged with everything from rape, child molestation, murder, drugs, armed robbery and the rest. I have taught here for over 7 years and have taught Special Education all together over 13 years. It helps to hit the gym at the end of the day.
3) It is the only sport you carry around with you everywhere you go. Everyone enjoys looking good as we get older.
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
I came out of retirement to do the 2006 NPC Masters Nationals because my 10 year old son had never seen me compete. Now I won't use the r-word again, but I don't have any plans on competing again after 16 years at it. I have achieved more than I could have ever dreamed. Right now I plan to start a bodybuilding consultant business on the side.
I don't want to be a regular rep counting personal trainer, but someone who helps a competitor get from 12 weeks out on in to the show (diet, cardio, posing, ect). There are many up and coming bodybuilders in this area that have no idea what to do in that 12 week pre-contest time period. This is also a way to stay in competitive bodybuilding without being on stage.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
Actually I have 2 tips.
1) Never stop learning. Read everything you can get your hands on. Ask questions, try new things and find out what works for you. Always try to improve.
2) Pray!!! Know where your real strength comes from. You really can do all things thru Christ who strengthens you.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
|Calling All Over 40 Amateurs!|