- Name: Kalene Smith
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Age: 26
- Where: Wichita, KS
- Height: 5'6"
- Weight: 110 Lbs
- Years Bodybuilding :1
- Favorite Bodypart: Legs
- Favorite Exercise: Legs
- Favorite Supplements: Living Green Liquid Gel Multi and Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Mocha Cappuccino
How Did You Get Started?
I was extremely inactive as a child and late teen. I always saw myself looking up to the girls in the magazines with amazing tone and shape to their body but could never find the motivation within myself to live a healthy and active lifestyle. Two years ago, a friend of mine, who was a former competitor, began talking to me about fitness and nutrition. At first I was completely intimidated, I did not want her to know that I could hardly spend 5 minutes on the elliptical let alone the types of food I was eating. On a daily basis she would stop by and ask how everything was going and give me bits of information on fitness and nutrition which slowly grew my interest.
I have to say, it took a lot of my own research and trial and error to find out what fitness and meal plan worked best for me. I started out doing cardio only and eating as few calories as I could per day. I was the girl that thought I would gain endless amounts of muscle if I lifted any amount of weight and that the only way to a tone body was to eat as little as possible, I was so wrong. After a year of cardio classes, I began incorporating weight training into my routine.
At that time I also changed my diet to a balanced nutritional plan, between the two I really started noticing the tone body I had always wanted. This was such a great feeling which has lead me to push through all my fears and compete in my first bikini competition this October. It is truly amazing what a little bit of hard work and commitment can do to change your life completely.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
I have found that a 5 day split works best for me.
|TERMS YOU'LL NEED TO KNOW|
Day 1: Pro Bikini Glute/Leg Workout
- Leg Press: 4-6 sets of 10-12 reps
- Smith Press Lunge: 4-6 sets of 8-12 reps
- Squats: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Butt Blaster: 4 drop sets of 8-15 reps
- Cable Kickbacks: 4 sets of 12-15 reps
- Leg Extensions: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
Day 2: Chest/Triceps
- Push Ups On Ball: 3 sets to failure
- Dumbbell Flyes: 3 sets of 8-10 reps
- Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 10-15 reps
- Triceps Kickback: 4 sets of 10-15 reps
- Bench Dips: 3 add sets to failure
- Skull Crusher: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Triceps Pushdown: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Day 3: Back/Calves/Abs
- Pull Ups: 1 set to failure
- One Arm Cable Row: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Standing Calf Raises: 3 sets of 8-10 reps
- Cable Rear Delt Flyes: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Seated Row Underhand Grip: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Seated Calf Raises: 3 sets of 10-20 reps
- Reverse Grip Pulldowns: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Wide Grip Lat Pulldown: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Hanging Knee Raises: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Weighted Crunches: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Knee Tucks On Bench: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Day 4: Hamstrings/Glutes
- Wide Stance Squat: 2 warm up sets of 15 reps
- Wide Stance Squat: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Still Leg Deadlift: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Single Leg Curl: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Lunges: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Hip Abductor: 3 sets of 10-15 reps, 1 set of 5-10 partial reps
Day 5: Shoulders/Biceps/Calves
- Front Cable/Plate Raise: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Shoulder Press Smith Machine: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Seated Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Standing Calf Raise: 3 sets of 10-20 reps
- Upright Rows: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Reverse Flyes: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Hammer Curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Standing Supinated Curl: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Seated Calf Raise: 3 sets of 10-20 reps
- Preacher Curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Day 6: Active Rest Day
Day 7: Complete Rest
I cook my meals in bulk on this day.
I also incorporate cardio 5-6 days per week which include Incline Walk on Treadmill, Spin Class, Sprints, and HIIT on the Step Mill.
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
- 1 Cup Black Coffee
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1/4 Cup Oats
- 10 Almonds or 1 Tablespoon Naturally More Peanut Butter
- 28g Protein Shake or 5 ounces of Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon Naturally More Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup Blueberries
- 28g Protein Shake
- 1 Tablespoon Flax Oil
- My Favorite: 6 Egg Whites w/1 tsp. cinnamon & 1 Tablespoon peanut butter on top
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
Whey Protein has given me the most gains. Protein is essential and is the building block post workout to help build and repair the muscles you just worked. Whey Protein is convenient and there are so many great flavors to choose from.
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
I can say it in three words: I feel amazing! Living an active, healthy lifestyle not only makes me feel confident with my outward appearance but gone are the days of questioning "are my jeans going to zip?" or "is today going to be another fat day?" On a daily basis I wake up feeling great, energized and confident in myself, my mind and my body. Another addition to looking and feeling good is your relationships with other people will tremendously grow the happier you are as a person. Feel good with yourself and others will be drawn toward you.
What Motivates You To Follow A Healthy Lifestyle?
I observe my surroundings everywhere I go. I hear people talk about wanting to live healthy or lose weight but they don't have time or it is too expensive. Seeing and hearing these people are what motivate me to continue on with my healthy lifestyle. Those same words used to come out of my mouth "where am I going to find time to go to the gym?" Well, now I have made time, it all falls in where your priorities in life lye and I hope my healthy lifestyle will someday influence others to make the same change I did. We all have time to spare and it really is not more expensive to live healthy, it is simply taking that first step to change and I know everyone has it in them.
What Made You Want To Achieve Your Goals?
The saying "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" pushed me to do my first bikini competition. I am somewhat introverted and have never liked to be the center of attention so the thought of getting on stage scared me to death. I so badly wanted to compete in a bikini competition but didn't think a girl with a math degree would do so well on stage. I knew this was something that would not kill me but that would make me stronger internally and push me to the limits externally and that it did. If there is ever a goal I want to accomplish, I am all in and will devote myself 100%.
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
I just competed in my first bikini show and loved every minute of it. The adrenaline running through my body and the camaraderie backstage made me fall in love with the sport. I plan on competing in another show next May and September. I also want to help educate new competitors on proper nutrition and fitness. There is so much information out there and extremely hard to know the correct approach for each individual. I had a lot of trial and error as well as frustration in my beginning stages and would love to help new competitors eliminate that from their experience.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
Do not lose focus! There will be road bumps along the way, trust me when I say you are not the only competitor experiencing them. It will come down to what you make of those road bumps. You will see friends judging you, you will have family that is not supportive, you will have cravings and there will be days that you just want to give up. Trust me, in the end it is all worth the fight you put in.
The reward of just being on stage next to other competitors who fought just as hard as you did to be standing next to you is first place in itself. There are not many people in this world that are willing to devote their life to a style of living such as a competitors so know that you are a winner no matter what and give every workout, every cardio session and every meal 100% of your focus.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
What Features Do You Use On Bodybuilding.com?
BodySpace is amazing to connect with people. I also order all my products from the Bodybuilding.com Store, the customer service here is the best! I have yet to be let down by a purchase from Bodybuilding.com.