Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. Because I use it to literally break my overnight fast, breakfast is also easily my biggest meal of the day. It's super-filling, energizing, and always delicious! While I like my go-to breakfast of spinach, egg whites, and oatmeal, even that trio can grow tiresome over time.
When I get bored with my food, I like to try new things. It's the best way to learn how to prepare healthy meals. To help you get started, I've supplied the creativity for you. Here are five clean, contest prep-friendly recipes packed with all the nutrients and flavor you want in a healthy breakfast.
Egg White Puffs
When you diet, traveling can seem more like a pain than an exciting adventure. I remember asking myself, "How on earth am I going to get my egg whites and oats every morning?" Oats can be easily packed in Ziploc baggies, but egg whites are another story. To make things easier on myself, I got creative and came up with these portable egg-white puffs. Below is the recipe for my favorite veggie combination, but feel free to get creative!
- Liquid egg whites
- Chopped spinach
- Chopped bell pepper
- Chopped onion
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. (I like Pam olive oil spray).
- Fill each muffin cup halfway with liquid egg whites.
- Add chopped veggies to each cup until almost full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Serving Size (1) Recipe yields 3-4 servings
Egg White Puffs PDF (120 KB)
Blueberry Protein Pancakes
Blueberries, blueberries, blueberries! I can't get enough of those little antioxidant bites. They're even better on some delicious protein pancakes.
Low-carb Protein Crepe
If you're a few weeks out from a photo shoot, competition, or other big event, you might be carb cycling. Most of us have a love-hate relationship with carb cycling—I know I do! Those low-carb days don't have to be a drag though. With a little creativity, you can enjoy many tasty meals. Here is one of my favorite breakfasts that tastes more like a dessert!
Banana-Walnut French Toast
There are times when you just gotta have French toast! For me, it's those rainy cozy weekend mornings that call for an extra delicious breakfast. If you have some extra time to prepare your breakfast, try my healthy take on this all-time favorite!
- 4 pieces Ezekial bread
- 1/3 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 egg
- Splash of almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp sugar-free hazelnut syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cinnamon and Stevia, to taste
- 1 banana
- 8 walnut halves
- Whisk together egg whites, egg, almond milk, vanilla, hazelnut, cinnamon, and Stevia.
- Coat each slice of bread in mixture.
- Fry in a sprayed, heated pan 2 minutes each side, or until golden brown.
- Top slices with sliced banana, walnut halves, and your favorite sugar-free syrup.
Serving Size (1) Recipe yields 2 servings
Banana-Walnut French Toast PDF (64.8 KB)
Apple Pie for Breakfast
Here is a hearty and scrumptious protein shake to jumpstart your morning. It comes complete with some good carbs and healthy fat! I'm sure you'll enjoy putting a different spin on your usual morning protein shake.
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 avocado
- 3 pitted dates, chopped
- 1/2 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Cinnamon and Stevia, to taste
- Blend all ingredients.
Serving Size (1) Recipe yields 1
Apple Pie for Breakfast PDF (43.2 KB)