The Benefits of Glutamine
Glutamine is the most important amino acid in the body. Find out what it can do for you.
Glutamine is a nonessential amino acid in the body but it is also the most abundant amino acid in the body. Around 50% of the free amino acid pool consists of glutamine.
Taking extra glutamine can have a have variety of beneficial effects on your body.
- A dosage of 2 grams on an empty stomach has been shown to increase the level of circulating growth hormone in the body. This is good because growth hormone promotes muscle growth and fat loss.
- Another effect is that the body does not have to break down other amino acids to make glutamine. Glutamine is a popular amino in the body and if glutamine levels are low, the body will break down muscle protein to synthesize it.
- The extra glutamine you take in supplement form helps support muscle growth if taken in doses of 5 grams or more at a time (this large amount is necessary to get enough past the digestive system to be of value - the gut sucks up glutamine like a sponge).
- Other effects of glutamine include immune system boosting, improved recovery, cell volumization and enhancement of glycogen replenishment.
- The best times to take glutamine are first thing in the morning, right after a workout and right before sleep.
- Dosages can vary from 2 grams (minimum) to about 10 to 15 grams (maximum). The larger doses should be used immediately after a workout to promote anabolism and minimize catabolism (muscle breakdown).
- Recommended glutamine products and price breakdowns are here.
This is just one tip out of many! View the full listing of tips here.