The bedtime meal represents your last opportunity to steel your body against muscle breakdown for the next eight hours. Your next meal is breakfast, and they call it that because you’re breaking your fast. If you’re trying to gain muscle, you don’t want the fast to be any longer than it needs to be.
To preserve those gains, a high-protein meal is necessary. And what better way to boost this meal then by making mouthwatering peanut butter (or any nut butter) the focal point? End your day—heck, you can have it at any time of day—with this high-protein, peanut butter pudding.
The combination of whey, casein, and peanut butter all work hand in hand to optimize the muscle-building environment overnight. Whey acts fast; casein nourishes your muscles more slowly. Peanut butter adds the sweet and delicious taste you desire, and the high fat content slows digestion, which prolongs the release of amino acids for the hours to come.
- Peanut butter, 2 tbsp
- Whey protein (flavor of choice), 1 scoop
- Casein protein (flavor of choice), 1/2 scoop
- Water, 1-2 oz.
- Add the peanut butter to a microwave-safe bowl and heat it for 20-25 seconds.
- Add the protein powder to the bowl.
- Add a small drizzle of water. Always err on the side of too little, because if you add too much, you’ll be left with an unappetizing, watery mess.
- Begin to slowly mix the peanut butter, protein, and water. Be patient, as it will take time for all three to combine.
- Continue stirring, and add water only if necessary, until the desired consistency is achieved.
Additionally, consider topping it with sliced bananas, fresh berries, walnuts, pecans, or crushed pretzels.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Recipe Yields 1 bowl
- Calories: 391
- Fat: 19 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Protein: 44 g