We all indulge in the occasional cheat, and when that time comes, deciding on just one sugary treat can be tough. You might be craving the sweet, crisp taste of a toasted Pop-Tart or the moist, crumbly texture of a cookie. Rather than having to decide between the two—and down a bunch of sugar, fat, and refined carbs in the process—choose this healthy treat that combines the two guilty pleasures!
These delicious, chunky, cakey bites of pow! are what happen when you cross a single-serving protein cake with your nostalgic childhood favorite. Enjoyed alongside—or dunked into—coffee, they make the perfect pre-workout snack.
If you're looking to make these cakes even more Pop-Tart-esque, roll them out for a thinner, crunchier consistency. I'm just a sucker for dunking everything into my coffee, so my focus was on making my baked good ultra-absorbent—the more caffeine I can get per bite, the better.
Please note that you have to use pea protein to make these; whey and casein won't do the job. Embrace pea protein and chow down on these goodies that provide twice the treat with none of the cheat!
Almond butter: 4 tbsp
Coconut sugar (or granulated sweetener of choice): 4 tsp
Pea protein powder: 1/4 cup
Toffee Stevia drops: 1/2-1 tsp (depending on desired level of sweetness)
Dark chocolate: 1 square (I used 85%)
Low-sugar strawberry jam: 1 tbsp
- Mix all of your ingredients together until they form a well-combined dough. If your dough is too sticky to shape into cookies, add a tiny bit more pea protein powder.
- Divide your dough into four balls. If you want them thinner, divide into six balls.
- Press the balls into four rectangular(ish) cookies.
- Add your jam on top of two rectangular cookies. Top them with the other cookies to form a jam-cookie sandwich.
- Bake at 335 degrees F (around 170 C) for about 12 minutes or until your cakes have browned.
- Massage half a square of dark chocolate on top of each cookie so it melts on impact. Bam!
Serving size: 1 cake
Recipe yields: 2 servings