Carbs are a go-to guilty pleasure for most people—and if those carbs are covered in a cheesy sauce, all the better! But if you're looking to lean out and are cutting most grains and starches, you know that every gram of carbs and fats count.
Rather than pine away for what you can't have, why not make a macro-friendly meal that you can enjoy? The answer to your meal dilemma is to make your own sauce!
Jarred cheese sauces are filled with butter and cream, with plenty of excess carbs and fat. The high-protein alternative I've come up with uses vegetable protein—pea in particular—to allow you to have that really creamy, cheesy, satisfying bowl of pasta without all the junk that comes along with say, a bowl of Alfredo or mac and cheese.
Pour this over some low-carb pasta—I used penne—and see how thinking outside of the box can deliver a dish that's good for you and taste-bud-pleasing!
Don't believe me? Give this a go, and you'll see.
- 1/2 cup milk (I used unflavored coconut milk, but any milk will do.)
- 1/4 cup unflavored pea protein powder
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp powdered cheddar (optional but adds great flavor)
- Garlic salt to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Dry parsley or basil to taste
- Cook four servings of the pasta of your choice.
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients into a bowl. Bring sauce to a simmer and continue to stir until all of the components are well combined.
- Add the sauce to your pasta, season as desired, and presto! You're done.
Serving size: 1/4 of the sauce
Recipe yields: 4 servings
High-Protein, Low-Carb Mac And Cheese Sauce PDF (125 KB)
Recommended For You