These protein bars are for the inventive souls amongst you. They're for those of you who like to think outside the shake and experiment in the kitchen. These bars are for those who have a weakness for apple pie, and those who want to indulge their passion for health and fitness without giving up their sweet tooth. They're for people who, like me, want a protein bar that's full of flavor but also one that is brimming with nutritious ingredients.
The bars are open to a lot of variations. You can create an after-dinner ode to apple pie a la mode by cutting them into little squares and serving them up with a scoop or two of vanilla protein ice cream. You can also add some chopped pecans or walnuts to give your bars a bit of a crunch.
The possibilities are endless, and no matter the variation you choose, they're all really easy and quick to make! And did I mention they're delicious?
Coconut oil: 2 tbsp
Vanilla whey: 1/2 cup
Coconut sugar (or granulated Stevia): 4 tbsp
Almond butter or sunflower seed butter: 4 tbsp
Milk (almond, coconut, or regular): 4 tbsp
Coconut flour: 4 tbsp
Cinnamon or allspice: 2 tbsp
Apple: 1 medium, sliced
- Steam your apple slices until they get soft. You can peel the apple before steaming it or you can leave the skin on—it's up to you.
- Make your bar my mixing the rest of the ingredients together in a food processor until you get a soft dough.
- Press the dough onto a small silicone brownie pan. Add your apple slices on top, and sprinkle the whole thing with some extra cinnamon or allspice.
- Bake at 340 F (170 C) for about 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Or if you want your bars really soft inside, just take them out while they're still a bit sticky in the middle! That's what I did when I made these bars, and they were delish.
- Let the bars cool down completely before slicing and eating.
Serving size: 1 bar
Recipe yields: 4 servings