This is so much more than your standard beef dish. The addition of blackberries adds an extra tang of flavor along with free-radical-shielding antioxidants, while the high-protein combo of beef and broccoli means you'll be making muscle gains while getting good-for-you vitamins and minerals.
Pair that with aromatic sesame oil, ginger, and garlic, and you'll be doing more than just pleasing your senses. All three are known to be great for heart health, so enjoy your new favorite recipe!
Lean flank steak, thinly sliced 1-1/2 lbs.
Broccoli florets, raw 3 cups
Red bell pepper, sliced 1
Yellow bell pepper, sliced 1
Low-sodium beef stock 1/2 cup
Liquid Aminos or low-sodium soy sauce 1/2 cup
Blackberries 1 cup
Garlic, minced or paste 1 tbsp
Ginger 1 tbsp
Sesame oil 1 tbsp
Arrowroot starch 2 tbsp
Rice vinegar 1 1/2 tbsp
Organic raw honey 3 tbsp (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together beef stock, liquid aminos, ginger, sesame oil, arrowroot starch, and rice wine vinegar.
- Set a saucepan or small skillet on medium-high heat, and spray it with a little olive oil. Once the pan is hot, toss in garlic and blackberries. Sauté the blackberries for about 6-8 minutes, allowing them to explode under the heat. Using a spatula, gently mash down the berries, continuously stirring them so they don't burn.
- Add the bowl of sauce to the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium, and stir the sauce so it begins to thicken. If you want the sauce to be sweeter, add organic raw honey, and stir. Once the sauce is smooth, remove it from the heat and set it aside.
- Set a stir-fry wok or large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Once the wok is hot, toss in thin slices of beef and cook for about 4 minutes, or until the majority of the beef is no longer pink.
- Add diced bell peppers to the skillet, and stir quickly. Try to sear the bell peppers. Cook for about 3 minutes, then add the broccoli florets.
Tip: If you prefer to have a sear on the veggies, remove the beef from the skillet before adding in the greens. Once the veggies are seared, add the beef back to the skillet.
- Cook the beef and broccoli together for about 5 minutes, and continue to stir with a spatula. Reduce the heat to medium, and pour in the sauce. Stir the mixture or shake and toss the food in the wok to ensure the stir fry is evenly coated in the sauce. Cook and stir for another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy the stir fry with a serving of brown rice or quinoa.
Serving size: 1 bowl
Recipe yields: 4 serving