I have a long-standing affection for deep dish pizza. I went to school in Chicago, and my friends and I would often go out to eat at Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, where deep dish is a way of life. If you've never had a deep dish pizza, let me describe it for you: It's like a pizza in pie form. Consider it thin crust to the umpteenth level. It takes a regular pizza crust, converts it into a piecrust, and stuffs it to the brim with tomato sauce, specialty toppings, and cheese through and through. It's delicious!
Whether it's the memory of meeting friends for an after-school gabfest at the local pizza joint or ordering in as a family on Friday nights, a good slice of pie has a place in most people's hearts. Too bad the same doesn't hold true for their waistlines.
Regular deep dish isn't the kind of thing you should eat regularly. That's because between the high-carb crust and a barrage of full-fat meats and cheeses, you end up with a caloric bomb. What's the solution? My protein-packed pizza recipe, of course!
Make this healthy version of deep dish pizza that delivers the same amazing taste but is actually packed with nutrition and protein POW!
- 1/2 cup Pea Protein Powder (unflavored)
- 1/2 cup Liquid Egg Whites
- 1/8 cup Buckwheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 1 tbsp Coconut Flour
- Blend all of the ingredients together until you get a thick batter. Using a spoon, spread the batter onto either one or two deep-dish pans. I used two small nonstick cheesecake pans, and they worked wonderfully.
- Bake at 320 F (160 C) for about 15 minutes or until the crust has cooked through.
- 1 small chopped Onion
- 2 chopped Garlic Cloves
- 2 cans of Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of Cheddar Cheese (or grated Mozzarella)
- 1 cup of Ground Beef (I used Grass-fed beef)
- 1 tbsp Rosemary
- 1 tbsp Thyme
- Salt to taste
- Add toppings to the crust. I made mine by pan frying the onions and garlic until soft, letting the added beef simmer until cooked, throwing in the tomatoes and spices, and reducing for 30 minutes until the sauce has thickened).
- Bake at 320 F (160 C) for about 10 minutes or until the cheese on top has melted. Top with additional cheese if desired.
Serving Size: 1 small crust (without toppings)
Recipe yields 2 (without toppings)
Protein-Packed Pizza PDF (127 KB)