Dear Protein Chef, I have vegan protein powder on hand but no idea what to do with it. Is there a recipe you suggest?
A lot of gym folks equate protein powder with whey. To them, whey's the be-all, end-all of protein. Sure, they may be familiar with casein and maybe even egg protein, but they seldom use them. And when you ask whether they've had pea protein, hemp protein, or rice protein, nine out of ten people will shake their heads no. "What's the point when my whey and casein shakes do the job just fine?"
I'll sum up the point in one word: cookies. OK. Two words: cookies and cake. You see, vegan protein powders are fantastic to bake with! Unlike whey and casein, they don't have a tendency to make your cakes, muffins, or cookies dry or rubbery. Instead, they retain whatever moisture or fat you add to them—and who doesn't prefer a fresh-from-the-oven moist, soft cookie to an overly dry, chewy one?
While you can, of course, still bake with whey and casein, finding an ideal balance of textures can be a bit trickier. With veggie powders, there's nothing to worry about. They bake up beautifully every single time! Don't believe me? Try these pumpkin-mango-nut creations:
- 3/8 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup Garden Of Life Raw Protein (vanilla)
- 2 tbsps coconut oil
- 1 tbsp freeze-dried mango
- 1 tsp sweetener of choice
- 1/4 cup of cartoned coconut or almond milk
- In a food processor, blend all of the above ingredients together until you get a pasty sort of dough. Taste it to ensure that it's sweet enough for you. If it isn't, add the sweetener of your choice.
- Divide the 'dough' into 7-10 balls, and press them onto a baking tray. If your mix is too sticky or wet, add a bit more protein powder until it reaches the right consistency.
- Bake for approximately 16 minutes at 320 degrees Fahrenheit (160° C) or until the cookies have baked through. The cookies will be super soft when you remove them from the oven. In fact, they'll crumble if you try to pick them up! That's fine, and to be expected. Just let them cool completely and you'll see how they considerably firm-up. And make sure no delicious morsel is left behind. Enjoy with a tall glass of coconut or almond milk!
Serving Size (1 cookie) Recipe yields 10