Ask The Protein Powder Chef: 'I Want Protein Cinnamon Rolls! Can It Be Done?'
You're in luck! The answer is indeed yes. The quickest and simplest way to go about making a protein cinnamon roll is to bake a cakey and "rollable" pancake, cut it into thick strips, coat each layer with frosting, and then roll them up. Before you eat one, top it with more frosting, cinnamon, and nuts. Your taste buds will sing!
Here's the recipe!
- Preheat oven to 320-338 degrees F.
- Blend all ingredients for cake together.
- Pour batter into a large brownie pan. (I like to use silicone bake ware.) Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- When the cake is done, you'll notice it's pretty flat-kind of like a pancake-this is what we want. Allow cake to cool.
- While cake is cooling, mix all ingredients for frosting in a bowl.
- After cake is cooled, slice it into three or four strips and then coat each strip with frosting. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Be sure to leave some frosting for topping.
- Roll each cake strip to create the cinnamon roll.
- Top each roll with the rest of the frosting, nuts, and cinnamon.
Serving Size 1 Cinnamon Roll
Do you want a recipe for a guilt-free, protein version of your favorite snack or dessert? Give her a suggestion in the comments below and she may turn it into a recipe for her next column!
- Follow This Discussion by:
try baked sweet potatoes. Just shave off some slices using a potato peeler and throw them on a baking sheet. bake until they are crispy and add in some spices for extra flavor. yum!
It will turn out fine BUT using a blend like Myofusion is slightly better because it contains not only whey but also egg white pow etc and this makes the texture a bit fluffier when baked. Try it with good old whey though, it SHOULD turn out OK :-)
That's an unfair accusation monsieur for I know not who you are or where you claim I took it from. Also, I'm not in the business of copying recipes, that'd be far too time consuming and soul-destroying to be honest. You may have created something similar, I don't doubt that - i.e. a rolled pancake with protein frosting. But, to be fair, a lot of people probably have too. Why? because it's the quickest and simplest way to make protein cinnamon rolls - anyone experimenting with them would most likely end up here.
That all being said, I'm interested in seeing your recipe and comparing it with mine. I don't take your accusation as an insult; I take it as a sign that we think (and therefore cook) in a similar way so I look forward to connecting.
Did not like this cake recipe. Followed all directions and proper ingredient amounts. I baked the cake for 10 mins and it was crispy on the edges like a chip and it didn't roll up well at all. The cake was super hard to get down. it was a tough consistency. The frosting was delicious though!