If you're even the slightest bit interested in looking good and performing well, chances are that chicken is a staple in your day. Heck, maybe even twice per day! And for good reason: This great source of protein is very low in fat and rich in B vitamins, and it tends to be very friendly on the wallet.
The problem, however, is that there seem to be only so many ways to prepare chicken, and eating the same baked chicken—despite a change of seasonings—over and over can suck the fun out of any diet.
Luckily for you, Chef Spike Mendelsohn blends a variety of strong spices and earthy flavors to deliver a wholly unique, out-of-this-world take on chicken: Oat-crusted chicken with a lemon yogurt sauce! The robust taste of the textured chicken is sure to break up the monotony of your usual bird. As for the yogurt dipping sauce...well, I'll let you try it and see for yourself just how creamy-good it really is!
This recipe is delicious on its own, but it also pairs well atop a bed of mixed greens and sliced veggies.
Oat-Crusted Chicken With Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) 4 large
- Egg 1 large
- Oats 1-1/2 cups
- Canola oil 2 tbsp
- Smoked paprika 2 tsp
- Garlic powder 1 tsp
- Ground cumin 1 tsp
- Salt 3/4 tsp
- Water 1 tbsp
- Plain, nonfat Greek yogurt 3 cups
- Lemon 1 medium
- Garlic clove, peeled and minced) 3
- Fresh dill 3 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients for the yogurt sauce into a small bowl and stir until evenly mixed.
- In a shallow dish, mix paprika, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and oats.
- In a second dish, beat the egg and water with fork until frothy.
- Place the chicken in a plastic bag and flatten it by beating firmly on each side.
- Heat the stove to medium; add canola oil to the pan.
- Dip chicken into the egg mixture, then coat with seasoned oats mixture.
- Cook the chicken in the pan until golden brown on both sides.
- Drizzle yogurt sauce on a serving dish, and place the chicken on top.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken)
- Serving size: 1 large chicken breast
- Recipe yields 4 servings
- Calories 423
- Fat 15 g
- Carbs 16 g
- Protein 56 g
Nutrition Facts (Yogurt Sauce)
- Serving size: 1/2 cup sauce
- Recipe yields 6 servings
- Calories 134
- Fat 1.5 g
- Carbs 10 g
- Protein 20 g