Now, I know what you're thinking: Making protein donuts at home never works—the texture is wonky, they fail to rise—but not this recipe! The secret ingredient is apple cider vinegar, which reacts with baking powder to create the lighter, fluffier batter that makes these donuts truly special. Signature Oatmeal Cookie Whey protein powder helps balance out the macros, and a quick and easy natural peanut butter glaze keeps this recipe low-sugar but still deliciously decadent. One bite and you'll see, these donuts have a melt-in-your mouth, cake-like crumb that is even better than the real thing!
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup milk (2% fat)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 scoop Signature Oatmeal Cookie Whey Protein Powder
- ¼ tsp table salt
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the donut pan. If you don't have a donut pan, use a mini muffin tin for donut holes.
- Combine vinegar, milk, vanilla, and oil in a small bowl and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, whey powder, and salt. Whisk very well to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix just until batter comes together. Immediately pour batter into the donut pan. Bake 15 minutes or until done, then remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Make a simple glaze by microwaving peanut butter and coconut oil for 30-second intervals, mixing until smooth. Dip cooled donuts into glaze and place on a wire rack to set.
- Special equipment: Large donut pan.